LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Community Forums > General Discussions

Old 03-06-2017   #16
Scuba
Bite my shiny metal ass

Re: Time for a new helmet

They do recommend you replace it after 5 years...some manufacturers say differently. Regardless, it's time.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #17
bigjoepainting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
They do recommend you replace it after 5 years...some manufacturers say differently. Regardless, it's time.
Thats a myth. Please read the part "myths busted"

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2014/0...cycle-helmets/
bigjoepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017   #18
Scuba
Bite my shiny metal ass

It's not a "myth" if the manufacturer recommends it.
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/helmet-maintenance/
Quote:
Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:
1. The helmet was subjected to an impact.
2. The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
3. The EPS liner has come away from the helmet shell.
4. The EPS liner shows signs of wear and is beginning to break up, or if it has been exposed to heat or a solvent and has melted. There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
5. Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail.
That's Shoei...others may say different. Again, regardless of their recommendation it's time for mine to be retired so it's a moot point. If you still think it's perfectly fine, you are welcome to it.
Old 03-12-2017   #19
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

I recently bought my second Bell and its a Star Carbon( and first transition lens) Before this I've used shoei and only went to bell because I got some great deals... Bell fits real close to how the shoei's did and they just keep getting lighter and vented better! I agree with keeping your helmets up to date not saying I haven't ever wore something with more than 5 years since date of manufacture!
Old 04-07-2017   #20
bigjoepainting

Quote:

That's Shoei...others may say different. Again, regardless of their recommendation it's time for mine to be retired so it's a moot point. If you still think it's perfectly fine, you are welcome to it.
bigjoepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017   #21
Project84

Quote:

5 years after first purchase? Where does that number come from?

So lets say you're a HD rider who puts 2k sunny miles per year on his bike. In 5 years your helmet has been exposed to sunlight (presumably) for 10k miles.

Now lets examine a long distance rider who puts 20k miles on his bike per year. That same helmet gets exposed to all the elements, kicked around a tent, and racks up 100k miles of UV exposure.

Last, lets say a helmet gets bought and used once and sits in the garage for 5 years.

The protocol in all 3 cases is to pitch the helmet?

How does a purchase date have any remote bearing on a helmet's lifespan? That's ludicrous. To dictate that a purchase date is tied to lifespan would have to also mean that a manufacture date is tied to the lifespan as well.

So does that mean every year a Shoei helmet sits on a shelf it's price drops 20% and the buyer is informed by the seller of the lifespan left in the helmet? lol See? It makes no sense.

"Selling 3 year old Shoei helmet, new in box. Only has 2 years of life left in it - discounted 60%"
Old 04-10-2017   #22
Scuba
Bite my shiny metal ass

I didn't write their recommendation...I just passed it along. You'd have to ask them their rationale.
Old 04-11-2017   #23
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

FWIW.
Let's look at this rationally.
ANYTHING-- is better than nothing.
I used to only buy helmets that were Snell approved.
A friend only buys Shoei. Pays the big bucks-- and even tho he has now moved from a 200MPH sport bike, to a 120MPH (with the wind behind his back-- going downhill) commuter cum touring bike, he still only buys a full face Shoei.
He flat out refuses to buy a flip face helmet.
And that's fine.
But look at the Snell Test-- they put a metal head form in a helmet and drop it on various shaped "anvils"
In the UK they have a similar test-- called the "Sharps test"
Both have a caveat-- explaining the test are for comparative purposes only and do not attempt to re-create "real world" conditions.
There are many flaws to it.
The Snell test would work fine if you were just a head in a helmet and didn't have the rest of your fat ass trying to cram you into the ball on a hitch of some diesel dually Chevy with a rebel flag on the back window (or, possibly even a "coexist" bumper sticker I suppose) that you high sided yourself onto.
A Snell helmet will not save you if your head is run over by a Semi tire. A Snell helmet will not save you if you come down from your 110 MPH stand up wheelie, lose the front end and high side yourself into a concrete bridge abutment.
A Snell helmet won't keep you from breaking your neck, having your chest crushed or your foot from being folded up into your arm pit.
In the real world, if a helmet protects you from that first face plant (which I have now managed to do three times) at elevated speeds, is thick enough to keep from being ground away by the pavement until you come to a stop, is light enough to keep those squishy things between your neck bones from popping like a pimple within 200 miles and is at least quiet enough that even six foam earplugs per ear won't soften the point blank Manowar fully amplified equivalent wind noise.
Then buy what your wallet can afford.
And what makes you think you look cool.
Plastic, fiberglass or carbon fiber.
They will all protect you in most situations. At the very least they will keep you from leaving your nose or ears strewn across the pavement.
And if you're old like me, it keeps your wrinkled face from looking like a farm pond in a gale force wind. Or, if you are butt ugly (like Bubba) little cuties in BMW Z4's, will never know.
On the other hand-- if your greatest fear is that you will do a 10 out of 10 one point landing on a Chevy diesel dually (with a rebel flag or a "coexist" bumper sticker) hitch ball, --and you body mass does not exceed that of the equivalent atmosphere it displaces, then go for the big buck top "O" the line 5 star rated Snell certified helmet.
And, unless you fear some Barney Fife wannabe with 70/20 vision noticing your helmet is devoid of a (useless) DOT sticker and light's em up, runs you down and executes you on the spot for violating Federal Law, (weird huh? In a state without a helmet law, you can ride with no helmet. But if you wear a helmet, and it's not DOT approved, you are violating the law!!)-- check out these "furrin" suppliers-- often way cheaper even with shipping-- for the same helmet.
https://www.motostorm.it/en/motorcycle-helmets.html (Italy)
https://www.fc-moto.de/en/Motorcycle/Motorcycle-Helmets (Germany)
https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle...helmets/8001/f (Spain)
There are UK outlets too. But they are no longer comparatively priced. Apparently the British Pound as increased in value (Brexit??)
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #24
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Not pushing my helmet brand-- or flip face helmets but I'm on my second Caberg.
The first was a Rhino.
I bought it because it was lighter than virtually any other flip face and almost as light as a top of the line full face 3 oz difference between a Shoei and a Rhino (or Ryno) at 3.4LBS.
My second Caberg is a Duke Legend. Same deal.
Lightness 3.19LBS
Both were given 5 stars for frontal impact integrity and in overall testing by Sharps.
The Legend has ECE22-05 certification. (more stringent than DOT. )
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #25
Brider
DIE HARD CUB FAN

Wow! This is almost like a "what oil to use" thread! Since I started the mess I bought another Shoei RF 1200. It was used for about 100 miles and the ADV guy had sold his street ride. Saved $200 in the process. I have my own rule of thumb on replacement. I replace after 5 years just because I figure I got my moneys worth and most of the time some new whiz bang feature has came along that I might like. I keep the old ones around and pass them on to riders that buy bikes from me as my pay it forward.
16 Versys 1000 LT
http://www.sporttouring.us
Brider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #26
djewell
molon labe

buy shoi high end. Your brian depends on it.bn
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
Hukamosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by djewell View Post
buy shoi high end. Your brian depends on it.bn
Not necessarily true. There is no correlation between price and quality. Better to get a helmet that fits correctly.
Hukamosh is offline   Reply With Quote