LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Motorcycle Support > Ask the Mechanics

Ask the Mechanics OK all you GearHeads, please help answer the questions...

Old 02-01-2019   #1
bigjoepainting

need parts for honda rebel

hey guys I have a friend that bought a 2006 honda rebel from someone and it's missing a lot of parts and now it seems to have a problem from the new parts.
it needed a main wiring harness, coils, cdi box. but we have no spark at all! I bought all the parts used except the cdi box. but it's not OEM. so who knows which one of these parts are not working.
I was hoping someone local might have some parts I could try and if they work I'd buy them.
or if anyone is a wiz with one of these bike's I'd love to hear some suggestions what could be the problem.
this bike is an oddball. the oem service manual doesn't have testing procedures for the coils or the cdi box. for the coils all it says it to measure the peak voltage via a peak voltage tester. which i'm not interested in investing in for a bike that was $35. lol if anyone has a peak voltage tester you'd loan me I'll buy you a 12pk of your favorite beer.

some other things I've tried and noticed are,
1. neutral light stays on in all gears
2. clutch switch does work
3. engine start button works when kill switch is in either off or run position.
4. kill switch continuity works on is dead when off
5. we had to put the intake cam back in the engine and put it in correct timing
6. manual says to check the pickup coil via a peak voltage tester. so I can't check that.
7. has plenty of good compression
8. only has 1400 miles.

Last edited by bigjoepainting; 02-01-2019 at 07:09 PM.
bigjoepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019   #2
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Re: need parts for honda rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoepainting View Post
hey guys I have a friend that bought a 2006 honda rebel from someone and it's missing a lot of parts and now it seems to have a problem from the new parts.
it needed a main wiring harness, coils, cdi box. but we have no spark at all! I bought all the parts used except the cdi box. but it's not OEM. so who knows which one of these parts are not working.
I was hoping someone local might have some parts I could try and if they work I'd buy them.
or if anyone is a wiz with one of these bike's I'd love to hear some suggestions what could be the problem.
this bike is an oddball. the oem service manual doesn't have testing procedures for the coils or the cdi box. for the coils all it says it to measure the peak voltage via a peak voltage tester. which i'm not interested in investing in for a bike that was $35. lol if anyone has a peak voltage tester you'd loan me I'll buy you a 12pk of your favorite beer.

some other things I've tried and noticed are,
1. neutral light stays on in all gears
2. clutch switch does work
3. engine start button works when kill switch is in either off or run position.
4. kill switch continuity works on is dead when off
5. we had to put the intake cam back in the engine and put it in correct timing
6. manual says to check the pickup coil via a peak voltage tester. so I can't check that.
7. has plenty of good compression
8. only has 1400 miles.

I'd be heading over to ebay, Wiring harness and CDI can't be much (less than $100)

Clutch switch only matters if won't let bike turn over right?
Bike will turn over if kill switch is off or run but should see 12Volts on the coils in run position

So check to see if you get 12 volts on primary side of coils if key is on and run switch? If you don't run a jumper to get 12 volts then turn over and see if you get spark at the plug is where I would start at!

Coils , CDI should all be fairly easy to test youtube will have something useful to use before buying any parts

https://youtu.be/QT2w_h2BkYY

https://youtu.be/Q6kHbyUibvg
Old 02-10-2019   #3
bigjoepainting

hey thanks dave. after speaking with a few more old school mechanics most of them suggested to check the pickup coil. if its dead it wont send signal to fire the coils. i found a clymer manual that says this bike should have 80 to 100 ohm at the pickup coil. ours has 120 and changes if we apply heat to it with a hair dryer. another indicator it's bad.
parts will be here tuesday. fingers crossed!

found out something silly about honda. they want $45 for a plastic screen for the petcock. but a whole petcock with the screen and oring seal is $53. nuts!
Old 02-14-2019   #4
bigjoepainting

well after replacing the pickup coil I still didn't have spark. however the new one does test good according to the clymer manual. so logic told me to buy another CDI.
the first new cdi i got on ebay was a dud. don't buy from racetechelectric. I don't think the factory tests the parts before they ship them. nothing worse than chasing your tail thinking it can't be this new part..
I bought one from Ricks motorsport electrics and now i have spark again! woo hoo! should have spent the $65 the first time with rick's. oh well the ebay cdi was $13. what did I really expect? live and learn.

Last edited by bigjoepainting; 02-14-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2019   #5
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Good to hear!!