LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Riding > Adventure Riding

Adventure Riding For the folks that do it all, dirt, street, gravel ...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2018   #1
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Cool 50/50

So I've gone through several bikes over the past few months, some of them accidental acquisitions, and others just trying to find that right tool for my toolbox.

The most recent addition to my toolbox, is this....

09 KLX250SF Supermoto. Only 2700 miles. Had been parked and forgotten about for a long time. Was sorta kinda running when I got it, but not really. More like being in a deep coma with a very faint heart beat. It is now wide awake and ready to ride, except.... those tires. Despite looking like new, they're original and 9+ years old.

Tire threads are almost as bad as oil threads, and I know I'm gonna regret this, but.... I'm looking for opinions. I want an aggressive tire that will grip in GRASS, and do a decent job off pavement (think RRG, DBBB & KAT), without sacrificing too much pavement performance. I do not want to change out my wheels. I like the 17" rims and plan to keep them. There lies the challenge. Front is a 110/70-17 and rear is a 130/70-17. Selections in a 110 are limited, and getting a tire that fits my needs is quite difficult (been there, done that). I'm sure there will be a few that will balk at the idea of going with a 120, but that's what I'm going to do. Not only that, but I'm probably going with a 140 rear as well, for multiple of reasons.

Right now, I think the most logical choice based on my wants/needs, is the Continental Twinduro TKC80's. Available in 120/70-17, 130/80-17, and 140/80-17. I have some experience with the TKC80 and have always felt that it was an exceptional tire on the pavement, but with that big block pattern, hopefully it would provide the off pavement bite that I need as well and allow me to keep up with a very fast KLX140L without hurting myself (is that even possible?).

I thought about going the cheap route with a set of Shinko 705's, but I don't care for the taller profile of the front size(s) that are available, nor do I think the tread pattern of the 705 is aggressive enough for me.

I know there are other tires out there, but those meeting my needs in the sizes that I need, tend to be quite expensive. Is there something out there that would work better than the TKC80?

12 KTM 990SMT
09 Kaw KLX250SM
04 BMW K1200RS
98 MZ Baghira
99 Tri Trophy 1200
97 Kaw EX250
93 Yaw TW200 [Daughter]
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
15 Kaw KLX140L
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50