LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Regional Forums > Midwest > Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan

Old 12-04-2016   #16
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Re: Cut the cable HD antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanhires View Post
Check out the Tivio Roamio OTA - 4 tuners, 1TB of recording space, Netflix, Amazon, Plex integration in one easy to use (family approved) package.

FWIW, Tivo.com has a 'renewed' 500GB Roamio with lifetime subscription for $199. The 1TB models go for $350 or so.

John
I had been eyeballing some Tablo OTA/DVR models a year or two ago, but found them excessively expensive. That 500GB Roamio seems like a deal.

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
93 Yamaha TW200 [Daughter]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
15 Kawasaki KLX140L [Son]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #17
ScooterDave

I got rid of cable in April. I have a Roku in my living room for Netflix, Amazon Prime & Sling. I enjoy Sling as it is only 20 bucks a month and I get all the cable channels I want (mainly so I can watch The Walking Dead in real time instead of waiting a day). I use a chromecast in my bedroom & office and that works perfectly. With internet, Netflix, Amazon Prime & Sling I am still under $75 a month.
ScooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017   #18
AnswerMeister
I ride - therefore I am

Quote:
Personally, we haven't had cable for 10 years. I use Kodi with NextPVR and 4 tuners to record OTA stuff, and have Netflix and Amazon VOD. Can't say I really miss 100 channels of nothing to watch.

John
John do you build boxes? Do you have a line on anything like this? https://www.amazon.com/ANDROID-FULLY...x+fully+loaded
AnswerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #19
Kowalski

Pulled the trigger and cut the cord over the holidays, assisted by the info found here, so thank you. I needed a new TV anyway, ended up getting a TCL 55" 4K UHD at Wal-Mart with Roku built in for $428. That seemed like a pretty smokin' good deal. I was dubious of the no-name brand, but TCL has made the panels for a long time for Samsung and I'm tired of paying the Samsung/Sony premium. So far so good, the picture is ridiculously amazing. My Mohu Leaf 50 antenna will arrive today from Amazon, I may add Sling after a while depending on how the Roku+Antenna combo does. In the meantime, my total monthly bill is now $34.99 for 10 MBps from TWC. Watching Dakar on RedBull TV, essentially for free, in UHD, is pretty flippin' awesome.
Old 01-03-2017   #20
jdanhires
Junior Woodchuck Welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnswerMeister View Post
John do you build boxes? Do you have a line on anything like this? https://www.amazon.com/ANDROID-FULLY...x+fully+loaded
Eh, you'll be disappointed with the quality of the 'free' (ie. pirate) streams.

Kodi is great as a media center for local content. However, any of the 'add-ons' like Exodus/Phoenix (which is really just a search engine) point to questionable foreign streams of dubious (and not always available) quality.

If you like being frustrated by your TV viewing experience, give it a try.

Honestly, a $35 Amazon Fire stick and one of the cheaper OTT services (slingTV, DirecTVNOW) would be the way to go.

John
jdanhires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017   #21
bigjoepainting

been using a google chomecast for I think 3 or 4 years or so now. now that netflix and hulu finally let you stream to more than 1 tv at a time I bought another one for my bedroom.
I have an RCA HD outdoor/indoor powered antenna with a 45mile range that gets only a few stations. I'm in a bad location and can't even get radio stations on my stereo. so it's a pain where I live. you HAVE to pay for cable or sat if you want to watch anything on the same day it airs. such as the news. the antenna just barely works when the moon and stars align.

I also have a Smart TV. but I still end up using the chromecast because it has much more content available. all the other stuff is kind of useless unless you like watching obscure shows or old b rated movies.
So I watch Netflix and Hulu + 99.99% of the time. movie rentals from some of those streaming sites are way over priced. some are $7. No thanks.

with chromecast it allows you to watch things that are not available with other devices that only have pre installed apps/services. chromecast can also mirror anything from your computer(via chrome web browser), tablet or phone. what this means is anything online you can find you can watch on a chromecast. it's options are not limited to only the apps that come on a roku or a smart tv.

chromecast now has a 4K ultra version if you have one of these tv's. Im fine with a 1080p picture.

Last edited by bigjoepainting; 01-21-2017 at 08:45 AM.
bigjoepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017   #22
AnswerMeister
I ride - therefore I am

Quote:
Eh, you'll be disappointed with the quality of the 'free' (ie. pirate) streams.

Kodi is great as a media center for local content. However, any of the 'add-ons' like Exodus/Phoenix (which is really just a search engine) point to questionable foreign streams of dubious (and not always available) quality.

If you like being frustrated by your TV viewing experience, give it a try.

Honestly, a $35 Amazon Fire stick and one of the cheaper OTT services (slingTV, DirecTVNOW) would be the way to go.

John
So I have had an android TV box now for a couple of weeks. You are right that it's not like clicking through a remote and channel guide. However I'm pretty happy with the old shows and movies I can find. I would still want a basic package but to replace red box, netflix and any other paid service I'm sold.
Old 02-09-2017   #23
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

I keep coming back to this dilemma time and time again over the years, with my ongoing battles with TWC. I finally FINALLY got things settled with them a couple months ago, with a rate that I could live with, and assured that it would be that way for a year before any additional increases (again). Being the procrastinator that I am, I said I'll just deal with it in a year. Well, now that Spectrum have taken over.... yup, you guessed it. My first bill was a $30 increase. Not as bad as what I've heard with others, but enough to piss me off. I was ready to cut the cord a year or two ago because I've never been a big TV sorta guy, but my wife and kids nearly freaked. Over the past months (many many months) they have grown to accept that one day, some day, it was gonna happen, and they all say that they can do without if they must. But now I'm the one addicted, and I probably watch more cable programming now than I ever have in my entire life.

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
93 Yamaha TW200 [Daughter]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
15 Kawasaki KLX140L [Son]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017   #24
AnswerMeister
I ride - therefore I am

Tom we have been conditioned to use the remote and menus to surf. After playing with this box some I can tell you that anything that you find on TW you can find steaming somewhere a day or so later. I think if I would cut the cord completely I would watch less as there is more of an effort needed to watch it. I think you would be less likely to “find” something new. But the items high on my list I can still watch:
CHIPs
Big Bang Theory
Bull
Better Call Saul
House of Cards
The Ranch
New and old MacGyver
Last Man Standing
Shark Tank

For my wife all of the above plus:
Anything on the Hallmark channel
Any old westerns
And of course any movie that you can ever think of

The downside is you need a device in every room you have a TV. If it’s a chrome cast they are cheap and easy to move $35. The android TV box is a little bigger and a little more money but if you cut the cable and you spend $50 per room you are still money ahead after a couple of months.

Last edited by AnswerMeister; 02-09-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2017   #25
Hyflyer

$994 real dollars saved since I cut the cord last August and still happy :-)
Old 02-10-2017   #26
Kowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by witttom View Post
I keep coming back to this dilemma time and time again over the years, with my ongoing battles with TWC. I finally FINALLY got things settled with them a couple months ago, with a rate that I could live with, and assured that it would be that way for a year before any additional increases (again). Being the procrastinator that I am, I said I'll just deal with it in a year. Well, now that Spectrum have taken over.... yup, you guessed it. My first bill was a $30 increase. Not as bad as what I've heard with others, but enough to piss me off. I was ready to cut the cord a year or two ago because I've never been a big TV sorta guy, but my wife and kids nearly freaked. Over the past months (many many months) they have grown to accept that one day, some day, it was gonna happen, and they all say that they can do without if they must. But now I'm the one addicted, and I probably watch more cable programming now than I ever have in my entire life.

This describes my situation exactly. I finally cut the cord a couple months ago and wish I would have done it years ago. My first bill was from TWC for $34.99 and when I got my second bill from Spectrum I had to sit down before opening it up.....but it was still $34.99. Whew. Just do it man.
Old 02-10-2017   #27
mtynan
Over the hill gang member

I bought Roku's for the TV's that aren't smart or connected to a PC. Add to that flat wall mount antennea's from Amazon and then stream in Sling which covers all the channels you could ever want and it's kiss that rip off cable goodbye!
VF1000R
CBX
XS 750
XS 650
CB 550
CB 350
CA 160
mtynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017   #28
bigjoepainting

this is why cable, sat and cell phone companies(verizon and AT&T mainly) tried to take over the internet a few years ago. (net neutrality) they don't want you getting stuff for less than they offer it. you can thank Obama for stopping it and saving your internet speeds. these big companies would have put an end to streaming services for sure.

Last edited by bigjoepainting; 02-12-2017 at 12:38 AM.
bigjoepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #29
djewell
molon labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoepainting View Post
this is why cable, sat and cell phone companies(verizon and AT&T mainly) tried to take over the internet a few years ago. (net neutrality) they don't want you getting stuff for less than they offer it. you can thank Obama for stopping it and saving your internet speeds. these big companies would have put an end to streaming services for sure.
If I pay an amount to my cable company, then cnn msnbc and abc gets some of my money.

That is why I "cut the cord"

liberal media can go to the way of the dodo if you ask me.