LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Clubs/Associations > OH-C.O.R.E.(Central OH Riding Enthusiasts)

OH-C.O.R.E.(Central OH Riding Enthusiasts) These folks have the market on some of the best roads in OH. Well worth a trip from anywhere to ride with this group.
Photogallery can be found by clicking here

Old 09-10-2003   #16
ninjagirl219
Dragon Junkie

BTW, hey out there to Dave, Mike and Dan. It's been a while, hope things are well! See ya sometime soon I hope!
ninjagirl219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003   #17
SpeedyD
Cafe Racer Nut

Hey there is nothing inherently dangerous about having a Pillion with you on a ride! As long as he/she knows the rules for sitting in the back, its fine. PE and I have ridden through the Gap multiple times two up, and she's been been behind some crazy f00ker doing 150 mph at Mid-Oh people know know how to ride should have no problem with a passenger. MY Opinion!

As for last Saturday's C.O.R.E. ride, I'd like to point out that I had a great time, even tho PE and I were only around for a short while. I understand that C.O.R.E rides usually consist of smaller groups and not so many new people, so I can understand a bit of confusion and misunderstandings, despite the amount of effort that went into organising the ride.

That being said, I have to agree a bit with my bearded photographer friend here. I understand the great tradition of Road Racing and am a Isle of Man / Manx TT fan myself. There is nothing like going fast out on the open road! Static road hazzards (gravel, suicidal squirrels, mailboxes, amish horse poop etc) are just the risks one take in that particular environment. Its your skin, the amount of risk you want to take is up to you.

HOWEVER..... in reality these are modern times and this is the U.S.A where most families have several cars, one of them likely to be an SUV. And most people dont know a whit about how to drive. So we have to deal with traffic, even out in the middle of nowhere. This is why (and I mentioned this on the CORE board as well ) it surprises me to no end how people continuously act shocked and amazed to see a car on the road whille whipping thru some blind turn at 90 MPH and scraping the knee! So those antics are probably best left to the track, like it or not.

Anyways, thats all I have to say about that. I'm looking forward to riding with C.O.R.E again
'00 SV-650 #175
'02 F4i
'75 Suzuki Titan cafe racer - For Sale!!
SpeedyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003   #18
Wheelie Monster
2Fast4U

Quote:
it surprises me to no end how people continuously act shocked and amazed to see a car on the road whille whipping thru some blind turn at 90 MPH and scraping the knee! So those antics are probably best left to the track, like it or not.
Is this about me and my post on the CORE site?
I wasn't suprised to see a car around the turn when going 30 MPH (not 90 like some may think) But, suprised and shocked to see him come into my lane when going around that turn, that is why I went wide and went off-road. No harm done. I would never (and never have seen CORE) go 90 MPH and drag a knee on a blind turn on the street, that is just asking for it.
NSR Race bike #4
Team Quazzymoto.com
Wheelie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003   #19
SpeedyD
Cafe Racer Nut

Ok so I may have been exaggerating a little on the speeds but my point was that no one should be surprised to see a car, amish buggy or a naked fat guy on a sowpoke harley coming around a bend in your lane. My comment wasn't really specifically towards you, just people's attitudes about going fast on the street in general. I'm sure you took the best course of action you could at that instant tho and I'm glad that nothing serious happened to you or the bike! Happens to the best of us.
'00 SV-650 #175
'02 F4i
'75 Suzuki Titan cafe racer - For Sale!!
SpeedyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003   #20
Davey
LR Junkie.

Ok ok, I am a newbie to riding . I've only been doing it for like... umm... this summer but anyway.

I didn't go but was very glad to see that CORE had a large group. And glad that someone talked about this stuff.

It's always good in knowing what other people think about others riding. I've only been in one large group ride but it wasn't aggressive it was just going up to Mid-ohio for vinatage days.

I've not seen very much crazy stuff with the riders I've been with (even though at times I question their sanity...ie zooky) but I have seen some very very dumb things.

A few things I have learned is one I don't think I would find myself without the proper gear on (thanks dad), and two something dad talked about was don't ride beyond your ability if you get behind no one will leave you, stay at your pace and don't be stupid.

And in no way am I saying anything about anyone I just want to thank everyone because for posting on Localriders.com. I learn so SO much about riding and what to do and what not to do. It always helps learning from the experienced people who have literally been there, wrecked that . Again thanks a lot!
Old 09-11-2003   #21
Greg Gabis
Night Elf Mohawk

The only group rides I enjoy are on some Saturday afternoons in North East Ohio or Central Michigan. Usually about 24 bikes show up and we go out and have a hoot and a half. The best part is that we'll even share our bikes with another rider so they can have fun, too.

I avoid other group rides for a reason and find I really only enjoy riding with a particular person cuz I know their style.

If you think you can't afford a school or track day to push the limits on your bike on a closed course in a supervised environment with medical on hand, you can't afford to push the limits...period. That one street crash could end up costing you way more than the $175-550 that a school/trackday will.
Greg Gabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003   #22
Motorsports Photo

A lovely reply. Let me ad a little more so you have a better idea of where I stand.

Quote:
It's a bummer that you picked this particular ride as your first CORE ride. It was a bigger than huge turn-out, CORE members, non-CORE members (like yourself), experienced street riders, racers, and the more novice riders like myself.
Its not a bummer. It was a great day and Carol and I had a fun ride. We just noticed some riding that passed the "fun" spot on the Ride-o-meter and pegged it out at dangerous. As I posted on Localriders earlier we had 4 fatalities (the 4th was after the posting) in just my local area, and the ride was within 2 miles of my home.

Quote:

Going into this ride I had a feeling it was going to be like that so that is why I opted to create routes to help break up the groups a little.
Great thinking on your part. I was impressed that breaking up into smaller groups with meeting places was added to the program.

Quote:
none of that star boys crap on 270.
Welllll, I did see some of that kind of crap, but at least it wasn't by weaving in and out of interste traffic!

Quote:
The ride from Bolivar was a huge group and Bam was not prepared for that, but in actuality he shouldn't have had to be.
In reality, he was friendly and tried to do the best job he knew how. I'm pretty sure he has never had to deal with such a large group before, so now he has some new ideas on how to do it. He also went with Rod to pick up his broken bike. I thought they were riding buddies, but the little feedback I have heard, I think they didnt know each other well or at all. Hes a stand-up guy in my book.

Quote:
I personally would never carry a passenger on my bike no matter how skilled I was. Motorcycles are dangerous enough without adding another human being to a situation.
Thats your choice and I applaud you knowing your limits and sticking with them. Carol is a great passenger and we enjoy riding, but we dont get out enough. The core ride was a good excuse to go for a ride and see who else is out there. She thought she was "slowing me down" and thought I wanted to ride way over the speed limits. I told he "NO." I was riding like I normally would. I dont mind riding an older ill handling bike. It keeps me on my toes and learning new ways to push it harder than was ever imagined. Riding fast is just too easy on a new sportbike.

If you REALLY want to ride fast. Come to Nelson Ledges. No speed limits. No double yellows, NO COPS!

-Speedy Pete
Motorsports Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003   #23
Motorsports Photo

missing quote

Hey, that last post was quoting ninjagirl219. Somehow I scewed up the code that should have said so.

-SP
Motorsports Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003   #24
ninjagirl219
Dragon Junkie

Quote:
Welllll, I did see some of that kind of crap, but at least it wasn't by weaving in and out of interste traffic!
If the stuff you are talking about are wheelies then CORE has never hid the fact that wheelies are not looked down upon so long as you know when and where to pull them. In groups, through towns or in unsafe ways are not typical of real CORE members. I have seen newbie COREbies or even NON MEMBERS (like on this ride) do that stupid stuff and it's just a matter of going up to the person telling them what's up and if they care (which I have yet to come across someone who doesn't) they will realize their mistake and not do it again.

Quote:
As I posted on Localriders earlier we had 4 fatalities (the 4th was after the posting) in just my local area, and the ride was within 2 miles of my home.
Are you talking about motorcyclists in general or riders that you personally know and have ridden with. In Columbus, I have heard of several deaths over the summer. Not one of them was in CORE and to my knowledge they were not wearing full gear and it was at the fault of other parties (ie SUVs, TRUCKS...what have you that were probably unavoidable) but none were reported (to my knowledge) out in the boon docks riding on the twisty roads.

It just really sucks that your post really stirred up some feelings with CORE members to include myself who know what rides with CORE are all about. We have an amazing bunch of people who just LOVE motorcycles, look out and care for one another no matter what, and you managed to not mention any of that and stuck with what seemed like a mentality of sitting back and waiting for an opportunity to say "I told you so!" If you saw something that seemed unsafe why didn't you say something to that person instead of making it seem like the entire group of CORE was that way, hell it probably could have been one of those non-CORE folk or newbies. Real CORE riders don't care about being fast or impressing one another, what you got was a bunch of newbie CORE riders and NON-CORE riders that had never been on a ride with us before and when you got to Z'ville you seemed to have your mind made up about us.

We know street riding is more dangerous than track riding. BUT, only the select few who can afford it or don't mind furthering themselves in debt can make it to the track as often as it seems that you and many of the other racers can. I've been on the track....it was the most fun I have ever had in my whole life BUT- I had to take two days off of work and dig a hole in my pocket book for the month just to do it. If it was so easy to just pick up and go to the track dont you think more people would do it? It's obvious you know the track and you shouldn't pass judgement if you don't know the street like most of CORE does. We know it's friggin' dangerous, not a single one of us turns a blind eye to that and I will guarentee that those "fast idiots" to you were only riding at about 80% of their actual skill level, leaving plenty of room for error.

But your feelings are you feelings and I can't change that, I just couldn't sit idely by and let you make the real CORE and it's members look like what we strive not to be - a bunch of squids on sport bikes!

Last edited by ninjagirl219; 09-11-2003 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2003   #25
Booga
Gravel happens

Ninjagirl, it looks like you are yourself not happy with some of the "new members", and you are calling the older members "real CORE" members. Isn't it typical that a growning group is often taking the good with the bad. You can't enforce a typical profile in a large group, there will always be idiots, whiners, and "the old guys". For me, CORE is just another group, I am not on the board, I have never ridden with CORE, but I heard mainly good things. You could hear the same about the localriders gang that is riding in southern Cincinnati, sometimes we have people riding way over their head, sometimes a real good group, it all depends who shows up.

To copy one of our members: "It's all good, until it's not"

I try to have my fun on every ride, and if there are unsafe people on it, well I stay away from them.

OK, Joern rides to where the road ends... Then he speeds off into whatever is in front of him... (Thom)
1985 Kawasaki ZX900A2 (in pieces)
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 (Kinky Little Redhead)
SDM #1879
Paved roads - A fine example of needless government spending!
Booga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003   #26
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Hi Steph

No CORE bashing I'm reading either... Man its crazy out there and big group rides is a challenge without being a parade...

I rode with CORE and no doubt the effort is there to ride motorcycles and fun while doing it....

As far as track days LocalRiders & Fasttrax has given away 5 schools this year and there is still one more up for grab.

http://www.localriders.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=165

Win a school and show up won't cost much that way..

See ya soon I hope....
Old 09-11-2003   #27
ninjagirl219
Dragon Junkie

Quote:
"It's all good, until it's not"
I'm liking that quote a lot! I'll remember it and I'll now get away from the one person's opinion on that ride. I kind of forgot that their were 20+ other riders that didn't have anything bad to say about it even from those who had get offs.

Okay, back to the normal happy me now, I'm done being upset about it!

Dave, definitly hope that is sometime soon to see you all again. Laters!!!
Old 09-11-2003   #28
jrockrat

my thoughts on the Sept. 6th ride

WOW!!! I had a great time! It was my first group CORE ride. I was glad to see such a great turn out. The group separation worked out great IMO. I jumped into the identified intermidate group. I had seen on the CORE site the stress for non-squid riding and for riding within your limit and that's what attracted me to them in the first place. I have nothing bad to report about the ride. The leader (Amy) of our group ran a good comfortable pace and those that didn't ride at that level I never saw them push it harder than they could handle to keep up. She would stop occassionally to make sure everyone could catch up and to make sure everyone was ok. I really appreciate everyone that put together the ride. Thanks CORE!!
jrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003   #29
mracer29
Slow but, faster than u!

I belive the comment " its all good...... TILL ITS NOT" Is mine so ill expect a lil $$$ payment for the use of it! LOL hahahahah j/k

any way to quote ninja for a sec. "BUT, only the select few who can afford it or don't mind furthering themselves in debt can make it to the track as often as it seems that you and many of the other racers can" BELIVE ME I struggle and have gone way out there to do what I do. and yes it is expencive but if its important you will find away to make it. run a small bike, something older, much cheeper then a big bike.

I had more to say but my brain just blahhhhhhhhed out, Ill get back to thius in a bit!

The "ORIGINAL"
F & S Suzuki
localriders.com Racing
Racer/mechanic
mracer29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003   #30
Bambam
Original Member

Re: Hi Steph

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bannister
No CORE bashing I'm reading either... Man its crazy out there and big group rides is a challenge without being a parade...
Dave, for those of us who set it up and tried to make it a good day, the snide comments and critiscism from attendees AND those who weren't even there, certainly come off as core bashing...

CORE: Central Ohio Riding Enthusiasts
1999 Ducati 900SS
Bambam is offline   Reply With Quote