LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Clubs/Associations > OH-C.O.R.E.(Central OH Riding Enthusiasts)

OH-C.O.R.E.(Central OH Riding Enthusiasts) These folks have the market on some of the best roads in OH. Well worth a trip from anywhere to ride with this group.
Photogallery can be found by clicking here

Old 09-09-2003   #1
Motorsports Photo

Post Ride report CORE 6 September

CORE Ride 6 Sept. 2003

Part I Bolivar to McConnelsville

It was a cool foggy morning. Riding from Strasburg up to Bolivar Carol and I only saw a little sun at the highest part of the highway. I figured the ride would be fogged in for a few hours. At least there WAS sun! There was a good number of bikes parked and waiting at the Bolivar Dairy Queen. I think the count was 24 as departure time approached. There seemed to be a good mix of CORE and other people since some replies when asking about CORE were "I donít know, this is my first ride." I knew a number of riders from Fasttrax, and even one of the Fasttrax racers was bold enough to bolt on a couple of lights and a license plate on his endurance racebike for the ride. (Personally I think race numbers on a bike attract cops more than wheelies!) We headed out into the fog toward OH 212. Along 212 there was a local car and a commercial van that the group either passed or followed depending on how you interpreted traffic law. The driver of the van gave up and pulled over on the shoulder after the car turned into its driveway, and let the last few bikes pass. The next antic was the "block the road" trick at OH 21 to let the whole group catch up. One inattentive rider pulled out in front of a southbound SUV and got honked at, but not hit. The ride continued on until the first major mishap. Just South of Sugarcreek, I saw a northbound driver get out of his truck and motioned a "slow down" and so did the people out of their cars at the next sharp curve. One of the group had misjudged the corner and fallen down. Luckily on his slide into the ditch, he missed the telephone pole, AND the barbed wire! He had a hole in the knee area of his pants, but I couldnít see any blood guts and gore, so I figured he was more in shock than he was injured. The Sugarcreek EMS bundled him up and took him to Doverís Union Hospital for checking out. While some of the group pondered the situation some more, Carol and I headed down the road. Most of the group went flying by at excessive speed. Some actually waited for the dotted line but most ignored it. I prefer to cruise at a speed less than "Reckless op" and just not slow down for the corners. The oh-boy-did-you-get-lucky event happened just inside West Lafayette. The cop had a woman in her minivan pulled over so he couldnít do anything about a bunch of speeding motorcyclists coming into town. The rest of the ride continued to Zanesville without incident.

Soapbox #1
Anybody else read the post I put up about dangers in Rural Riding? I guess it didnít sink in if you did! We passed the fatal spot where the guy found the gas truck. (no delivery for Saturday!) The EMS unit was glad Rod didnít hit the VERY nearby telephone pole like the last guy they collected. I thought the incident would have slowed riders down a bit. It didnít seem to. The local motorcyclist fatality count in the last few weeks was 4. I was hoping we didnít raise the number anymore that day.

Part II Zanesville to McConnelsville to Marietta

There was another big group waiting at Bob Evans. I got to meet rsweeney, and say hi to a few other faces I had not seen lately. The decision to divvy the group up into "fast idiots" (my interpretation), intermediates, and a slow group was the best idea I had heard yet. Unfortunately the leaders were not identified, and we just left with a group instead of waiting around. It turns out we ended up with the slow group. No big deal. I just had to use my brakes more to keep from rear ending the rider in front of me. The ride from Zanesville to McConnelsville was interesting. We passed by the Wilds and the remains of BIG Muskie the giant coal shovel. The road was freshly paved, but unfortunately also freshly sprinkled with gravel. It was a nice brisk ride to the town by the raging Muskingum River, McConnelsville. After waiting for another group to meet up with us, we headed out again minus 2 of the riders toward Marietta. This route was not as exciting, but hey, it was a nice day for a ride. We checked out the Rinky Dink flea market at Marietta while waiting for the others to meet there. They didnít show so we split up and headed to town for food.

Carol and I opted for the Chinese restaurant. VERY good food with a WIDE variety of Chinese and Americanized dishes. AND since it was still what they considered "lunch" it was only $5!!

Another side trip to the antique mall filled the Krauser bags with goodies and we headed out of town toward home. Iíll suggest old 21 (821 out of Marietta) for a future route. Still curvy and a bit hilly, but nowhere near as many blind curves as OH 93.

Soapbox #2
I like to go fast. Iíve proven I can go fast with the number of trophies from WERA and Fasttrax littering the garage and shelves in the living room. I save that speed for the track. There are no delivery trucks, telephone poles and white haired grannies in Buicks or Lincolns to dodge, or any gravel or oil to slide in. I know I can go as fast as I can at the track and if it turns out to be a little too fast my survival potential is close to 100%. Many of the riders last Saturday choose to ignore that survival potential. I do hope you beat the odds. I hate losing friends. You also have another set of rules you cant beat. The rules of the road. You do get a few chances to collect points before you lose your license, but what happens in the meantime? The guy in the van outside Bolivar will talk forever about his encounters with the CRAZY BIKERS that ran him off the road. There will be a lot more added that Saturday than just him speaking the same bad words. Hollywood created the bad biker image and the hells angels perpetuated it. Honda worked on reversing that image with the ad campaign "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" in the mid 60ís. Motorcycles got popular again in the 80ís because of the price of gas (that seems to skyrocket further into the stratosphere!) and then seemed to drop off as SUVís replaced the empty space in the garage. Now we have the Star Boys and other moronic stunt groups that think the highway is their playground. Now Iím labeled as one of them because I wear a leather jacket and ride a motorcycle. Splitting lanes and passing on double yellows at hyperlegal speeds doesnít do much to popularize the mode of transport we enjoy. If you get hurt everyone down the line will say you deserved it. When you get the hospital staff saying that and interfering with your care you might regret some of what you did. We have to share the road with others. I try to ride politely with trucks, cars, buggies, and bicycles wherever I go. I hope you might give a thought to that too. Just because we CAN go fast and pass within inches in places others arenít allowed to pass doesnít mean we have to. Save that stuff for the track, not the street. There are a LOT of you riding over your head. Take a Fasttrax school or two, or some other school to learn how actually ride that sport bike. Then pursue the limits on the track, not the street.

I did have a good day riding around on Saturday. I might ride with core again. Iím not sure. If you come across Carol and I cruising down the road you picked, give us a little room, wave, and keep up your cornering speed! (-:

-Speedy Pete
(not a core guy but decided to check them out)
Motorsports Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003   #2
Bambam
Original Member

Speedy Pete, I think you raise some very good points here.

CORE's record really doesn't bare very close scrutiny where the larger rides are concerned so I think we will all be looking at this in the future.

We were aware that it was going to be a big turnout but I for one confess I had not adequarely prepared for it. That first leg from Bolivar to Z'ville should have been organised differently.

CORE: Central Ohio Riding Enthusiasts
1999 Ducati 900SS
Bambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003   #3
mracer29
Slow but, faster than u!

Im sorry to say i was one of those people riding over my head till i stopped riding the streets in 98 and went to Bob Stanleys FASTTRAX schools, and really found out how to ride....... From time to time I still want to attend group rides, but I dont cause I know thats not the right place for me and its for sure not the right place for me to crash!!!! Ive told people before drive down a country road at 55 mph and in 30 seconds count the things that would really suck to hit if you went down............(trees, bushes, rocks, mail boxes, telephone poles, street signs, ect) Now times that by 3 cause your on a bike your doing 150mph at times eazy. That is not odds I want to take!!!!! For those of you that think your fast, think you can ride, and think you know what makes a bike work, I challenge any and all of you to come to the track show me and the rest of the people how fast you are and that you can ride................ Ill show you what it feels like to get passed at full lean, double your speed, cuttin your front tire so close your sure your gonna die, while Im waveing at you just to let you know that you aint fast!!!!

P.S. I learned the wave at full lean trick from the one and only "SPEEDY PETE" Then i taught him the throw the sign as you out horse power a vet. racer down the front stright away........ lol

The "ORIGINAL"
F & S Suzuki
localriders.com Racing
Racer/mechanic

Last edited by mracer29; 09-09-2003 at 10:19 PM.
mracer29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003   #4
Wheelie Monster
2Fast4U

Quote:
The decision to divvy the group up into "fast idiots" (my interpretation), intermediates, and a slow group was the best idea I had heard yet.
Well, It wasn't divided into CRAZY FAST, SLOW, AND SLOWER! It was experienced, intermediates, and beginner. Also, we divided the groups up into what route they wanted to take. The "fast idiots" as you call them all have had race experience and we never did anything to make bikes look bad or give them a bad rep. We all rode in a very mature way.

Quote:
Unfortunately the leaders were not identified, and we just left with a group instead of waiting around
You must of missed that? We had 3 leaders, and they should of told everyone where they were going, and what group they were in. I must say that Amy, and Steph both did a great job on trying to get people who were experienced in the area to lead, and getting maps out to everyone on where we were going.

Sorry that your 1st experience with CORE had to be the way it was, but when you get 50+ bikes together, you'll have a mix of different riders. We try to keep the "squids" out of CORE, the people that give bikers a bad rep. We enforce personal safety, to always have gear on, and ride in a mature way. Maybe we could of organized the ride differently? I was the 1st one to post about the ride on the CORE site and as well as here. I never thought it would attract over 40+ riders, and I don't think anyone else did either! I think this was the 1st HUGE CORE ride, and we hit some bumps in the road with getting things prepared. Like Bill stated, I think we will all be looking at this in the future.

And my race numbers mean something! I think the same way as you, that they attract cops more. But, 343 stands for the 343 firefighters that died in the World Trade Centers. Since I'm a Firefighter, I thought I'd leave them on to honor them.
NSR Race bike #4
Team Quazzymoto.com
Wheelie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003   #5
Booga
Gravel happens

I won't challenge Dan, I know I aint slow, but the track is like learning to ride all over again. I know I rode my good old cruiser to the limit during the Fasttrax school, and I might be able to do this with a propper racebick in a couple of years. I am planning to pick up racing next year or the year after when I am in Germany, then we'll see. I definetly liked this thing going around in circles.

However riding on the street is a whole different game, I won't stop that for anything, and I am always trying to leave a margin for possible error, even it is sometimes thin. Some have seen me riding, some might think I am crazy. Riding fast on the street has nothing to do with the bike, or how well you ride, it has mainly to do with the chances/risks that you are willing to take. I don't think there is anything heroic with riding fast on the street and over your head, it is often a sign of stupidity. Remember, there will be always somebody that is faster then you (being more stupid or taking bigger risks), there is no sense of using the street as a racetrack. Ride your own speed, and be safe.

Enough said!

OK, Joern rides to where the road ends... Then he speeds off into whatever is in front of him... (Thom)
1985 Kawasaki ZX900A2 (in pieces)
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 (Kinky Little Redhead)
SDM #1879
Paved roads - A fine example of needless government spending!
Booga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003   #6
mracer29
Slow but, faster than u!

I dont belive that the bike with #'s on it was a fasttrax endurance bike..... who else from fasttrax attended other then speedy pete?

The "ORIGINAL"
F & S Suzuki
localriders.com Racing
Racer/mechanic
Old 09-09-2003   #7
speedy triple

well on some points I agree with your remarks. the pace can get hot with the rides somtimes. when you are in large groups with slower riders mixed with more aggressive riders it is bad news from the start. as for the comment about the track, here is all i have to say: lend me the 200 plus dollars most track want for a half day and i'm there! dont get me wrong i dont condone riding like a fool on public roads. but with most tracks asking for a large sum of money and strick guide lines on bike prep, most riders just cant afford to ride the track often, or at all. maybe if there were tracks that only wanted say $75 to spend a few hours or half days more riders would save the fast stuff for the track and not do it on rt 93? just my two cents. i have looked into fastrax and mid-ohio track days but when they want 250 bones and you need brand new tires on, your looking at near $500, sorry my budget is not gonna let me do that. so if this school is so great then why dont they offer discounts to large groups?

mike
Old 09-09-2003   #8
Wheelie Monster
2Fast4U

mracer29 , the guy that I think he is talking about had a Suzuki TL1000, and had long hair. I was going to say hi and talk, but they up and left before I could.
NSR Race bike #4
Team Quazzymoto.com
Old 09-09-2003   #9
mracer29
Slow but, faster than u!

Localriders.com and fasttrax have teamed up and had a contest every month on the site and gave away a fasttrax school day each month, so there is an effort to reach out to the members of this site to have the oppertuinty to improve your riding skills. Im pretty sure that fasttrax street school is not 250 at nelsons and you will have a better time and learn more at nelsons then you will at mid ohio. Then check this out you attend a school and then you can got open trackdays wednesday nights at nelsons for like 75 bucks. One more thing I bet it says good condition tires, not new tires. Ive been at nelsons every fasttrax race weekend for 5 yrs now and ive seen plenty of bikes come and go they for sure didnt all have a brand new set of tires on them.

The main reason for my coments about the track is, I was there I did that, I was the guy everyone wanted to ride with but knew to keep a good distance away from while riding. Faster and better then everyone else and could do more tricks then anyone I knew but all it did was got me hurt and f...ed up my friends day cause now my bike was broke and needed a truck or trailer to get it home or they had to go call the wife and say "hey Dan crashed again goofin off, Hes ok just a lil road rashed "

How fun will your buddys day be when he has to call your wife and say " sorry he was riding like hell and crashed and got cut in ahlf by a mail box post"

The "ORIGINAL"
F & S Suzuki
localriders.com Racing
Racer/mechanic
Old 09-09-2003   #10
mracer29
Slow but, faster than u!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wheelie Monster
mracer29 , the guy that I think he is talking about had a Suzuki TL1000, and had long hair. I was going to say hi and talk, but they up and left before I could.
Hey i know that guy..... its the guy next to me in this pic??? http://www.localriders.com/photopost...papass=&sort=1

The "ORIGINAL"
F & S Suzuki
localriders.com Racing
Racer/mechanic
Old 09-09-2003   #11
Wheelie Monster
2Fast4U

yeah thats him! And what did you do, paint your GSXR black? Last time I saw it, it was yellow and green, with lots of scratches!
NSR Race bike #4
Team Quazzymoto.com
Old 09-09-2003   #12
mglisson
OH-Cincinnati Member

I wasn't at the ride. Won't comment on the ride.

I will comment on the 3 rides I've been on w/CORE. Safe rides. Great People.

IMHO I think that sometimes we all get caught up in the moment and do things that others, looking at us from a different perspective, think we shouldn't do.

Until I started riding a motorcycle I thought anyone on a motorcycle was insane and putting themselves in un-necessary risk.

The increase in communication over the past dozen years or more via the internet has opened up people's eyes to a whole bunch of different worlds within the motorcycle community. Maybe they didn't know these worlds existed before or maybe they had heard about them but never experienced these things in person.

If you're used to riding at a certain pace with certain people in a certain environment and then you go and change one of those things there are going to be some surprises. If you change all of those things at once you probably won't be able to count the surprises there will be so many.

Point is, yes, I do have a point, there's lots of different riding styles and level of comfort out there.

We all learn from our experiences and hopefully from the experiences of others. IMHO, this is one of the greatest benefits of electronic communication.

The information is out there, the experience is out there, we all just have to be willing to tap into it, spend some time looking for it, answering questions, putting trip reports together and help eachother along.

All of these rides, styles, etc have existed for a long time without the opportunity to discuss them with so many different people from so many different perspectives.

Thanks to the many collaboration tools that are now available to all of us we can all get as much info as we're willing to seek out and absorb. Hopefully we learn something from that info and get to enjoy many, many miles on our favorite style(s) of 2, 3 or 4 wheeled fun.

Just my 2 cents.
mglisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003   #13
mglisson
OH-Cincinnati Member

Quote:
Originally posted by speedy triple
i have looked into fastrax and mid-ohio track days but when they want 250 bones and you need brand new tires on, your looking at near $500, sorry my budget is not gonna let me do that.
Quote:
Originally posted by speedy triple
maybe if there were tracks that only wanted say $75 to spend a few hours or half days more riders would save the fast stuff for the track and not do it on rt 93?
Check out the Fasttrax Calendar

As mracer29 pointed out earlier, most Wednesdays throughout the riding season Fasttrax has open Practice from 4:30 to Dusk for "Licensed Racers & Speed Certified Street Riders".

So basically, if you attend a street or race school ($175-$550) you can ride for a nominal fee on most Wednesdays for a couple of hours.

HTH,
mglisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003   #14
mracer29
Slow but, faster than u!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wheelie Monster
yeah thats him! And what did you do, paint your GSXR black? Last time I saw it, it was yellow and green, with lots of scratches!
It got painted last month its half teal green and half black. Mph in ackron set up the paint job and re stickering as part of our total bike make over. check out the last races pictures of a complete look at the newly paint and strightened bike.

The "ORIGINAL"
F & S Suzuki
localriders.com Racing
Racer/mechanic
Old 09-10-2003   #15
ninjagirl219
Dragon Junkie

It's a bummer that you picked this particular ride as your first CORE ride. It was a bigger than huge turn-out, CORE members, non-CORE members (like yourself), experienced street riders, racers, and the more novice riders like myself.

Going into this ride I had a feeling it was going to be like that so that is why I opted to create routes to help break up the groups a little. I didn't have to do that, I didn't get paid to do it and could have just showed up in Z'ville into the cluster f#$% that it would have been. CORE is made up of enthusiasts. There are no fees to pay or waivers to sign which is why so many want to be a part of it. CORE is nothing more than a group on a website making it possible for people to chat and talk, ask questions and see if someone wants to go for a ride, just like localriders, only difference is the type of motorcycles most of us ride choose to ride and the type of riding that gets done. SE Ohio Twisties - none of that star boys crap on 270.

The disclaimer on CORE is there to weed out what is considered a squid by us. This doesn't mean, however that it will keep squids off of CORE rides because members will bring non-members and what is a squid to us may not be a squid to them or you for that matter. The ride from Bolivar was a huge group and Bam was not prepared for that, but in actuality he shouldn't have had to be. Just because he is a CORE member doesn't make him responsible for 20+ riders and making sure they get where they need to or want to go. He may have made a bad judgement call by leading the group in the first place. He very well could have said forget it and went home and then if you really wanted to go on a SE ride with other people you would have found your own way down. But that would never have happened because BAM is not that way same with many other veteran CORE members. Not the newbies that signed up the day before that wrecked their very first time out......like I did last year when I was leading myself way back in the pack away from everyone. Chalk it up to inexperience for sure!

Anyways, I will be done with my rant. It just sucks that you got a taste of all the things we strive to preach against when riding on the street with true CORE members. I don't feel bad about riding with the veteran riders in CORE as I have learned more from them than anything I have every tried to learn on my own. I would ride with them because I know what to expect on a ride. You cannot judge that from a one time meeting with a group of that size and varied skill level. Being your first time, you didn't know anything about CORE rides and just because you ride the way you do on the street doesn't mean that it is considered safe by me or the next person. I personally would never carry a passenger on my bike no matter how skilled I was. Motorcycles are dangerous enough without adding another human being to a situation.

My opinion!

Last edited by ninjagirl219; 09-10-2003 at 10:19 AM.
ninjagirl219 is offline   Reply With Quote