LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Community Forums > General Discussions

Old 06-06-2019   #1
Project84

Where is everyone?

I haven't been around here in a while after taking up more of a touring approach and less backroad/local stuff. Went to login over at assfault junkies and can't even find it/doesn't exist anymore I'm guessing?

Came here and there's only been 2 or 3 posts in months.

What's going on in the Cincy riding community? Everyone on Facebook now days? (I don't do Facebook)

I've recently gotten a KTM 450 SMR and was hoping to get some advice on setup and kart track play time.

I tossed my street bike (Tiger 1050) down the road out near Petersburg last December and haven't ridden street since, though I'm shopping for another similar bike - S1000XR/Multistrada/KTM something or other.

Is 2-Wheel Tuesday still a thing over at Comet?
Old 06-07-2019   #2
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Re: Where is everyone?

Yup. Even tho the pundits would have you believe that FB is dying a slow death from Twitter, Pinterest and all the other instant msging apps used on smart phones by millennials, it's the platform of choice for the Cinti riding community. Both AFJ and LR have a FB page (altho LR FB isn't a whole lot more active than this page). The two most active in the area are the Cinti Café Racers and Ride Cinti forums. Both of these are closed to non-member viewers, so you'll have to drag your caveman ass into the 21st century and join FB if you want to participate and see ride info. If I can do it at almost 70 yo, a young pup--relatively--like you should be up to it! LOL

And yes, TWT is still a thing at Comet. Some upstart eastsiders have begun meeting at the Urban Grill in Newtown, also, on Tuesdays, 5-8ish. UG is normally closed on Tuesdays but has offered to open up just for the bike community! I'm planning on hitting it next week, weather depending.

I strongly suggest taking a good look at the VStroms, preferably the DL650 model. It'll do everything your Tiger could do at a considerably lower cost of entry. Tons of them on the market because they sold a ton of 'em. If you want a preview, send me a text msg on my cell (5one3-fivesixO-one94too) and you can sample mine. I like 'em so much, I've got two!

Last edited by icantdrive55; 06-07-2019 at 10:11 PM.
icantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019   #3
Project84

The bike debate has been ongoing.

I've got mixed feelings on what comes next. My inner hooligan really wants a 2012+ Tuono but my realistic, sport touring, 2up side understands that won't cut it. Multistrada comes closest in power/weight to the Tuono, but I'll be damned if I'm paying $1,200 for a valve/belt service! Watched some youtube vids, it doesn't look all that intimidating but they suggest it every 15k and some seasons that's been a year of riding for me. I don't wanna wrench on a major service like that once per year, and I don't want a bike that I avoid riding because of the upcoming service.

That puts me back to Jap bikes - specifically the FJ09. Then I see that I can't really get one w/o spending $6-7k and that's right in used Tuono/Multistrada territory and hard to justify!

Anyway, looking for some SM playtime this year at G&J or Circleville. I just need someone to show me the ropes as this is new territory.

Stinks FB is the only medium to access Cincy riding discussion. I haven't been on it in 8-9 years and have no interest in re-joining it.
Old 06-10-2019   #4
bigjoepainting

if you're dumb enough to be on FB you deserve to have your ID stolen. that's exactly what they sell. I quit using it when that story of ISIS tracking down military personnel using it. people post everything anyone needs to know. who in their right mind would post a picture of their kids on social media... where it stays forever for any child molester to look at or come find your kid.

Last edited by bigjoepainting; 06-10-2019 at 07:23 PM.
bigjoepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019   #5
Kowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Anyway, looking for some SM playtime this year at G&J or Circleville. I just need someone to show me the ropes as this is new territory.

Stinks FB is the only medium to access Cincy riding discussion. I haven't been on it in 8-9 years and have no interest in re-joining it.
Seth Hershey at Metro Scooter has the inside info on G&J and Circleville. He's run them both, primarily on minis, but for sure he can steer you in the right direction for SM action.

Agreed 100% on FB. I lasted about one year, and that was 10 years ago.
Old 06-12-2019   #6
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Whether you like or hate FB, it's the main place folks who ride are using to post events and finding others who want to ride on short notice. The notion that FB can steal your identity is silly, and as for the risks of posting personal information on the web, it's a simple matter of NOT POSTING anything you don't want seen. For that matter, you can create an account by posting absolutely NO personal info at all--make up a fictitious user name, for instance, Fred Gschnotten. There are also many levels of security that you can enable on you account as to who can and cannot see anything you do decide to post.

There are certainly way too many FB users who puke every detail of their lives on their homepage with no thought of how available that information is to the world, but those are mainly pretty stupid people who have no common sense or desire of personal privacy. I don't blame you for being leery of social media, but it can be a useful tool for those who understand it. Or you can wait and monitor LR forum for whatever ride posts might show up here. Don't hold your breath....
Old 06-12-2019   #7
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
The bike debate has been ongoing.

I've got mixed feelings on what comes next. My inner hooligan really wants a 2012+ Tuono but my realistic, sport touring, 2up side understands that won't cut it. Multistrada comes closest in power/weight to the Tuono, but I'll be damned if I'm paying $1,200 for a valve/belt service! Watched some youtube vids, it doesn't look all that intimidating but they suggest it every 15k and some seasons that's been a year of riding for me. I don't wanna wrench on a major service like that once per year, and I don't want a bike that I avoid riding because of the upcoming service.

That puts me back to Jap bikes - specifically the FJ09. Then I see that I can't really get one w/o spending $6-7k and that's right in used Tuono/Multistrada territory and hard to justify!
Have you thought about looking at the Aprilia Shiver? Bob Aitken (Wozerd) bought one and loved it the last time he rode down to NC on the fall trip. S'matter of fact, I recall him saying (on FB, BTW) that he was considering selling it. Something about him being too old to ride....
Old 06-13-2019   #8
Kowalski

I have a friend who sold his 2001 Gold Wing and 2010 FZ-1 a few years ago and replaced them with a 2016 FJ-09 and he has been very happy. He uses it primarily for one-up sport touring and long trips (big miles, out west, he's retired...). The only complaint has been somewhat soggy suspension, which probably won't get better in a two-up situation, but a set of springs would probably just about fix that.

I recently got back into two-up touring and ended up with a 2008 Concours 1400 after sampling the FJRs and Goldwings. On paper the Concours looks like a pig, but underway it does ride sweet and has plenty of power. The handling isn't razor sharp, but it also doesn't degrade much with the addition of a passenger and luggage. I am ashamed to admit that with the wind protection and hard bags I've also been using it for commuting. And you can pick these bikes up relatively cheap. Just a thought. I had totally dismissed this whole class of bikes as being lame heavy turds, which of course they are, but for sportyish two up touring I've become a believer. Or just old.
Old 06-16-2019   #9
bigjoepainting

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
Whether you like or hate FB, it's the main place folks who ride are using to post events and finding others who want to ride on short notice. The notion that FB can steal your identity is silly, and as for the risks of posting personal information on the web, it's a simple matter of NOT POSTING anything you don't want seen. For that matter, you can create an account by posting absolutely NO personal info at all--make up a fictitious user name, for instance, Fred Gschnotten. There are also many levels of security that you can enable on you account as to who can and cannot see anything you do decide to post.

There are certainly way too many FB users who puke every detail of their lives on their homepage with no thought of how available that information is to the world, but those are mainly pretty stupid people who have no common sense or desire of personal privacy. I don't blame you for being leery of social media, but it can be a useful tool for those who understand it. Or you can wait and monitor LR forum for whatever ride posts might show up here. Don't hold your breath....
facebook sells your info to companies and anyone with the money to buy it. how do you think they get their billions? that's what they do. and one reason why you get 20 telemarketers/robo calls calling you every week. and why the government has recently decided to crack down on it. as they are getting overwhelmed by consumer complaints.

Last edited by bigjoepainting; 06-16-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-19-2019   #10
Stop4No1
Habitual Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoepainting View Post
facebook sells your info to companies and anyone with the money to buy it. how do you think they get their billions? that's what they do. and one reason why you get 20 telemarketers/robo calls calling you every week. and why the government has recently decided to crack down on it. as they are getting overwhelmed by consumer complaints.
So where in all that is the danger to me? Credit card companies, retail chains, insurance companies and banks get hacked all the time and your info is there for the taking. The good news is that they can't do you any physical harm. Sure they might sell your info and you might even get junk mail/phone calls but there is less risk of ID theft and credit fuckery from facebook than any of those. Social media is lame and it sucks that's where you gotta go for groups like this but it certainly isn't a threat to your well being.

Last edited by Stop4No1; 06-19-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Stop4No1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019   #11
bigjoepainting

if they're not a threat then why cant you use a fake name?
wait till you send out a resume and it links to your account then they can see anything you say on there. you won't be getting that job.
cc companies do not give out your addresses and phone numbers and email to 3rd parties. facebook does.