LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Race Teams > Middletown Cycle Racing #612

Middletown Cycle Racing #612 #612 Rob Hancock

Old 09-20-2010   #1
RJH_5150
Dedicated Rider

Beaver Run September 4-5

Well the week leading up to Beaver was crazy busy. The Tuesday before the weekend Jeff and I didnít have our motors back from Rueben yet. He was a busy boy with helping out Schwantís school up at Indy and who knows how many engines he was working on. Needless to say when we got the call our motors were done Jeff and I dropped everything and heading for Indiana. We didnít get to Ruebenís shop until 10:00pm. It was awesome for him to wait on us like that. The next day (Wednesday) I run over to Jeffís after work and start throwing parts in a frame. It was a long evening but by the time I left my bike was running and ready to go in the trailer. It was nice to hear my bike run again. Thanks Rueben!

Jeff and I were planning on running the track day on Friday but due to the overwhelming amount of things we needed to do we decided against it. So we left Friday morning and took our time getting there. We were greeted by Todd (Moto Series/Fasttrax/Pirelli vendor) with a nice spot roped off for us. We dug a few things out of the trailer so we could get our bikes out and got the flooring setup. I needed to get some tires change around and I wanted ride my bike around the paddock just to make sure everything was working. Todd changed my tires real fast and I got to ride the bike around a little bit before the sun went down.

Saturday we had some interesting weather. I am glad I signed up for two Soloís because we didnít get much practice that morning (weather/crashes). I needed a little more time to get used to my bike again. Luckily the rain held off for our races but the wind was terrible. I didnít even put up my canopy. I got sixth in both solos and ran some fairly competitive times. I was looking forward to race gas and new tires for Sunday.

Saturday night was great. We got to hang out with everyone, had some good food and drank a few beers. My wife, John and his wife, Jeff, Todd were the main parties involved. We also had several friends from the paddock stop by and tell a bunch of lies. Good times.

Sunday morning was cold. I was not ready for that. I ended up skipping the first round of practice because I didnít see the point in loosing confidence on a cold track. The last round was still chilly but after the first lap I was warmed up and ready to go. After practice I did the usual song and dance getting ready for the afternoon races. Everything seemed to take forever to get done for some reason. By the time I had the last tire remounted (vender mounted it backwards the first time) they were calling first call for race one. It was a good thing I sucked a sandwich down during the riders meeting.

The first two races all I could think about was not screwing up. I could not miss my third race (A Super Stock) because I was leading the points in that class. That was all I needed was a DNS to screw everything up. I got a great launch in the first race and realized going into turn five I was ahead of Jeff and Dave (Grey) was ahead of me. They are in a pointís battle for that class. After we go through seven I pull out of the way and wave Jeff by. He didnít need to be fighting with me. Heís got a championship to win. Jeff wasnít able to get by him at the end but at least I gave him a better chance to do so. He ended up in forth and I got sixth place.

My second race I found myself in a situation to hold off Dave through turn one. It wasnít intentional by all means but I launched right in to the mix of the front runners and forced him wide. I would like to think that helped Jeff get second but he was riding awesome and really didnít need any help from me. I finish fifth and improved my times a little. I guess I got that ďdonít crashĒ mentality out of my head and relaxed a little.

When I got back to the pits I had a bunch of things to do to get ready for the A Super Stock race. I threw a new rear tire on, applied the map I set to learn earlier, pulled the O2 sensor out and dumped some gas in the tank. I was glad the races were spread out enough to get all of that done. I had a flashback of when I first started racing and remembered having nowhere near the amount of stuff to do before a race. I made it to the grid and launched my little Suzuki as hard as I could. Despite my best efforts Sam (Gaige) beat me into one. I was able to hang onto second place until the back straight and I believe that was where Gene (Burcham) got me. I tried to hang with him but my bike started chattering real bad in the right kink and I had to back off. That was scary by the way. Then around the fourth or fifth lap Ryan (Manotti) got around me and I had to settle for fourth place. I wasnít terribly pleased with the result but at least I didnít lose too many points in the championship.

My last race I decided to take it easy and not do anything crazy to screw me or the bike up and save everything for the last weekend at Nelson Ledges. So I cruised to a fifth place finish and called it a day.

Jeff and I are in good standings heading into Nelson. Jeff is leading in 2 classes and could possibly win 2 more if he can finish in front of Dave (with a few people between them). I am leading in one and pretty much have forth wrapped up in three others. It should be an exciting weekend. See you at the track!

Big thanks to all of my sponsors! Middletown Cycle, Cinema Concepts, Worldwide Bearings, 35 Motorsports, Spider Grips, NKY Signs, Cycle Options, Sharkskinz, Newtown Feed & Supply and of course Localriders.com.

Race Team Sponsored by:
Neyra Racing
Middletown Cycle
Worldwide Bearings
RJH_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #2
Ducati Hottie 999

Re: Beaver Run September 4-5

Awesome report Rob! Glad racing in WERA working out well for ya. Miss ya at Fasttrax/Motoseries ... What kind of lap times are you running at beaver?
Old 09-20-2010   #3
RJH_5150
Dedicated Rider

I barely got into 59's. The track didn't seem to agree with much this time. Well, maybe more I didn't agree with the track.

I am hoping to spend more time with the Moto Series stuff next year. Todd's heading in the right direction and I would love to be a part of it again.

Race Team Sponsored by:
Neyra Racing
Middletown Cycle
Worldwide Bearings
RJH_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #4
Ducati Hottie 999

WOW Rob thats still smokin fast!!!I am lucky to get into the 1:04's there. I have only raced there twice though. Are your going to road america in oct? If so see ya there! And good luck!
Old 09-20-2010   #5
mglisson
OH-Cincinnati Member

great report Rob...sounds like a fun weekend...Grats to you and Jeff!!!
mglisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #6
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

nice report Rob! Thanks and good luck in the final round!