LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Race Teams > Middletown Cycle Racing #612

Middletown Cycle Racing #612 #612 Rob Hancock

Old 05-12-2009   #1
RJH_5150
Dedicated Rider

Nelsons – 1st race

I have been trying to write something for a week now and I haven’t had time. Between work and getting the bike ready for Grattan there hasn’t been much of it lately.

Nelsons didn’t go as well as I had hoped. Don’t get me wrong, I learned a lot about the new bike and I got whole bunch of notes to go over. I just wish I had experienced some of things I encountered at Nelson when I was riding Putnam.

Saturday was nerve racking. The first couple of practice sessions of the day we were greeted by a slowly drying track. I almost forgot how bumpy that place was. I was trying to push as hard as I could so I could see how close my gearing was. I ended up changing the rear sprocket twice. By the end of the last practice session the track was almost dried and I was finally able to pick up the pace. Before the solo 20 started I put the tallest gearing I could on it without changing the front sprocket. The track was completely dry for the race and I was able to go a little faster making my gearing a little too short again. At least it gave me a good idea what I needed to do for Sunday.

I had so many things going through my mind when I heard third call for the solo. “Holy shit, I have never launched this thing before!” “Ahhh, Turn one!” “Try not to wreck your new bike”. My nerves were going crazy. Despite what was going on in my head the bike launched beautifully. I was a little tentative considering the clutch problems I had last year. I really didn’t care where I finished at this point. I just wanted the first race to be over with so my nerves would calm down. I stayed pretty constant in the 1:13’s. I was a little frustrated considering I was 3 seconds faster on last years bike. I rode a nice lonely race with no one to play with. I started zoning out a little to be honest with you. Thankfully I kept my attention in check long enough to finish. The first race was over with no incidents and I had a nice long list of things to do to the bike for the next day.

That evening I was talking with Matt (goodmatt) and he gave me some really good info on Suzuki geometry. After raising the ride height way up and changing the front and rear sprockets I was ready for Sunday.

I rode practice on the same set of tires as Saturday and was constantly a second faster than my race pace from the solo. The track was a little cooler as well. The bike handled so much better. I didn’t seem to be fighting it as much and I was no longer scraping my exhaust pipe on the ground.

Nothing really spectacular happened in the races that afternoon. Although I did have some great starts and they kept getting better the more I got used to the clutch. I rode constantly in the 1:11’s but that was no match for the leaders in the :07’s and :08’s. So needless to say I didn’t place very well.

The highlight of the day was watching my teammate Jeff kick ass. He got two 4th place and two 3rd place finishes and won one of the B races. He rode constantly in the :08’s and :09’s. I had a feeling he was going to be the one to beat this year and he is proving me right.

We got Grattan coming up this weekend with a track day the day before. I got a lot of data from Traxxion and I am excited to try all the changes I made. Now that I got that first race weekend out of the way and my nerves have settled maybe I can get my ass in gear and get up there with the fast boys.

Race Team Sponsored by:
Neyra Racing
Middletown Cycle
Worldwide Bearings
RJH_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #2
RENCRN8
WERA Expert #69

Re: Nelsons – 1st race

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH_5150 View Post
I have been trying to write something for a week now and I haven’t had time. Between work and getting the bike ready for Grattan there hasn’t been much of it lately.

Nelsons didn’t go as well as I had hoped. Don’t get me wrong, I learned a lot about the new bike and I got whole bunch of notes to go over. I just wish I had experienced some of things I encountered at Nelson when I was riding Putnam.

Saturday was nerve racking. The first couple of practice sessions of the day we were greeted by a slowly drying track. I almost forgot how bumpy that place was. I was trying to push as hard as I could so I could see how close my gearing was. I ended up changing the rear sprocket twice. By the end of the last practice session the track was almost dried and I was finally able to pick up the pace. Before the solo 20 started I put the tallest gearing I could on it without changing the front sprocket. The track was completely dry for the race and I was able to go a little faster making my gearing a little too short again. At least it gave me a good idea what I needed to do for Sunday.

I had so many things going through my mind when I heard third call for the solo. “Holy shit, I have never launched this thing before!” “Ahhh, Turn one!” “Try not to wreck your new bike”. My nerves were going crazy. Despite what was going on in my head the bike launched beautifully. I was a little tentative considering the clutch problems I had last year. I really didn’t care where I finished at this point. I just wanted the first race to be over with so my nerves would calm down. I stayed pretty constant in the 1:13’s. I was a little frustrated considering I was 3 seconds faster on last years bike. I rode a nice lonely race with no one to play with. I started zoning out a little to be honest with you. Thankfully I kept my attention in check long enough to finish. The first race was over with no incidents and I had a nice long list of things to do to the bike for the next day.

That evening I was talking with Matt (goodmatt) and he gave me some really good info on Suzuki geometry. After raising the ride height way up and changing the front and rear sprockets I was ready for Sunday.

I rode practice on the same set of tires as Saturday and was constantly a second faster than my race pace from the solo. The track was a little cooler as well. The bike handled so much better. I didn’t seem to be fighting it as much and I was no longer scraping my exhaust pipe on the ground.

Nothing really spectacular happened in the races that afternoon. Although I did have some great starts and they kept getting better the more I got used to the clutch. I rode constantly in the 1:11’s but that was no match for the leaders in the :07’s and :08’s. So needless to say I didn’t place very well.

The highlight of the day was watching my teammate Jeff kick ass. He got two 4th place and two 3rd place finishes and won one of the B races. He rode constantly in the :08’s and :09’s. I had a feeling he was going to be the one to beat this year and he is proving me right.

We got Grattan coming up this weekend with a track day the day before. I got a lot of data from Traxxion and I am excited to try all the changes I made. Now that I got that first race weekend out of the way and my nerves have settled maybe I can get my ass in gear and get up there with the fast boys.
Sounds like a good weekend if I must say so myself. I will see you at Grattan! We wont be there until Friday night though....
Old 05-12-2009   #3
fzrkentucky
14 karat crazy

Good luck at Grattan. I can't be there in person. Only spirit.

Instead I'm going to send you a cheerleader. Pom poms and all. Martin will make it for sure. ha ha ha .
fzrkentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #4
RENCRN8
WERA Expert #69

I thought Martin was allergic to race tracks....
Old 05-12-2009   #5
Sherpadude
Supporting Member

Great job, Rob...

I know you weren't completely satisfied with the results but, everything considered, you did really well. And you now have a lot of actual race data to use.

Good luck at Grattan! (And you too, Nicky)

Jeff

(1970-1979) Honda SL70 | Honda Elsinore CR125 | Honda CB360T
(1985-1987) Suzuki GS450L
(2004-2011) Honda V45 Magna | Kawasaki 250 Super Sherpa | Suzuki DL650 VStrom | Triumph Daytona 675 | Ducati 848 | Kawasaki KLX250S
(2014-Present) Suzuki DL650 VStrom | Yamaha FJ-09
Sherpadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #6
mtynan
Over the hill gang member

Quote:
So needless to say I didn’t place very well.
Gee there's a surprise.
VF1000R
CBX
XS 750
XS 650
CB 550
CB 350
CA 160
mtynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #7
Ashlandracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtynan View Post
Gee there's a surprise.

Are you having fun with this guy or actually busting his chops? Can't figure it out.

Think it is funny at the comments, though!
-Bazaaz
-Fender eliminator
Ashlandracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #8
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

I'll be down here cheering everyone on!

RE: Pre race jitters:
Mogan David
If anyone catches you -- tell them it's a religious thing.
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #9
ped

Quote:
Gee there's a surprise.

rob i looked forward to watching ya at bluegrass but oh well now, get ready for nelson instead.....again

Last edited by ped; 05-12-2009 at 10:00 PM.
ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #10
mtynan
Over the hill gang member

Quote:
Are you having fun with this guy or actually busting his chops?
Both!! Poor Robster...spent all that money just to go slower.
<< Rob
VF1000R
CBX
XS 750
XS 650
CB 550
CB 350
CA 160
mtynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #11
chrisOH

Yeah Rob you should know anything from Putnam don't mean squat to Nelson.

I knew you would be needing geometry changes once you hit Nelson and Grattan. Did you play with the TC at all?

If Jeff would answer his phone I would have congratulated him.
WERA #283
Suomy,LP,Race Tech,Sidi,Vortex,Bridgestone
Front Tuckers Anonymous member #002
chrisOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #12
Ashlandracer

Quote:
Both!! Poor Robster...spent all that money just to go slower.
<< Rob
Well, I am sure time setting the bike up is going to slow him down, but I would also think had he had a full weekend on it already, he'd be ready at the next one. Well, alsso the track day weekend. That's two, right?

The new Suzuki is pretty good from what i see and I would think he wouldn't have any excusses. But, depends how good he is in riding and racing and in setting the bike up.
-Bazaaz
-Fender eliminator
Ashlandracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #13
RJH_5150
Dedicated Rider

Martin and I go way back. He is just mad because he doesn't see me every Sunday anymore. I keep telling him that there is more to life than Star Trek, his Ford Probe and Sunday rides.

Race Team Sponsored by:
Neyra Racing
Middletown Cycle
Worldwide Bearings
RJH_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #14
ttam7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENCRN8 View Post
I thought Martin was allergic to race tracks....
No, he just has reactions when I try to wet a napkin (with my SPIT) and get the mayo off his face .
ttam7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #15
ttam7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam7777 View Post
No, he just has reactions when I try to wet a napkin (with my SPIT) and get the mayo off his face .
Sorry there wasn't any red in that for you ped. Oh wait, there's some.
ttam7777 is offline   Reply With Quote