LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Race Teams > Middletown Cycle Racing #612

Middletown Cycle Racing #612 #612 Rob Hancock

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009   #16
RENCRN8
WERA Expert #69
 
RENCRN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,640
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bannister View Post
Good luck nick .. I hope the weather gets better

Saturday and Sunday looks better there than here in Cincinnati
Oh boy I hope it gets better, it is raining like crazy right now. One of those rains that seems like it is set in for a while. Oh well, maybe I will get a chance to try out some rains for once.
__________________
87 Paso, 00 JR50, 01 JR50, 03 KTM 450, 04 MTS1000, 06 KTM 950 ADV, 10 KTM 250XC
RENCRN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #17
Ashlandracer
Registered User
 
Ashlandracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 43
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
a good fork oil doesn't change in viscosity either. (well it isn't supposed to)
Actually, what happens is the oil breaks down. When it starts to break down, it loses it's ability as if it were fresh. Ever seen fork oil out of a street bike with a lot of miles? Looks like mud... Fresh oil will work better than shit oil. Thus, the reason good racers are always making sure their suspension is as fresh as they can make it...
__________________
2006 R1
-Graves
-Vortex
-Bazaaz
-Fender eliminator
Ashlandracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #18
Sherpadude
Supporting Member
 
Sherpadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,613
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandracer View Post
But, that's why you are a regional racer, right and not at the WERA National level?
Is your name Brian?

Jeff
__________________
Today is a gift... that is why it's called "the present."

(1970-1979) Honda SL70 | Honda Elsinore CR125 | Honda CB360T
(1985-1987) Suzuki GS450L
(2004-2011) Honda V45 Magna | Kawasaki 250 Super Sherpa | Suzuki DL650 VStrom | Triumph Daytona 675 | Ducati 848 | Kawasaki KLX250S
(2014-Present) Suzuki DL650 VStrom | Yamaha FJ-09
Sherpadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #19
ped
Registered User
 
ped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,214
Re: Time for the real test…

compression can affect sag in a band-aid very general sense but then you would be mis-using it. shouldnt the best thing to do be seeing how the bike handles and setting the geometry up from that instead of going by base numbers. one mans sag is def not anothers. besides dynamic sag is what realy matters assuming the springs are correct weight.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpadude View Post
Is your name Brian?

Jeff
__________________
WERA 112
Cycle Specialties
ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #20
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member
 
Dave Bannister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 7,604
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENCRN8 View Post
Oh boy I hope it gets better, it is raining like crazy right now. One of those rains that seems like it is set in for a while. Oh well, maybe I will get a chance to try out some rains for once.
Rains are great on a wet track(you'll love it)..

If it starts drying up then aim for the puddles.. good luck!
__________________
79 SR 500,Custom HD ,Stella, Suz DL650, GSXR 600, HD 1125R ,MTS 1000, VMAX
Dave
Dave Bannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #21
dark6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 156
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandracer View Post
But, that's why you are a regional racer, right and not at the WERA National level?
no one cares, plus that does not justify your knowledge with bikes.
dark6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #22
serpentracer
internet=never wrong
 
serpentracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,656
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark6 View Post
no one cares, plus that does not justify your knowledge with bikes.
oh yes it does, anyone that paid for a race license must be a god and knows everything about how every aspect of a bike works.
after all that's why they are wera racers. but sadly not Moto gp team managers....
serpentracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #23
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual
 
WOZERD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,872
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandracer View Post
What I was refering to was that you need to check suspension settings often and especially not 2 days after an event. You can also change sag settings by adjusting compression on a bike to a degree. But, that's why you are a regional racer, right and not at the WERA National level? Or, it is why you always see guys checking sag often.

Another note is that the suspension will also move oil through the valves a certain way. Slower when cold, quicker when warm... Thus, checking sag numbers first thing in the morning may not be the same as if checked after the first session, etc... It is not as cut and dry as you explain it to be...

You sound familiar.
__________________
2014 Aprilia Shiver 750
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #24
Sherpadude
Supporting Member
 
Sherpadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,613
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOZERD View Post
You sound familiar.
I wonder if he previously had another alias?

Jeff
__________________
Today is a gift... that is why it's called "the present."

(1970-1979) Honda SL70 | Honda Elsinore CR125 | Honda CB360T
(1985-1987) Suzuki GS450L
(2004-2011) Honda V45 Magna | Kawasaki 250 Super Sherpa | Suzuki DL650 VStrom | Triumph Daytona 675 | Ducati 848 | Kawasaki KLX250S
(2014-Present) Suzuki DL650 VStrom | Yamaha FJ-09
Sherpadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #25
ped
Registered User
 
ped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,214
Re: Time for the real test…

run an IP check
__________________
WERA 112
Cycle Specialties
ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #26
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual
 
WOZERD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,872
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpadude View Post
I wonder if he previously had another alias?

Jeff
I didn't see your previous post-- I was trying to be a little less blatant I guess! I checked the zip before I mentioned that he "sounded familiar".
A clone?
__________________
2014 Aprilia Shiver 750
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #27
Sherpadude
Supporting Member
 
Sherpadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,613
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOZERD View Post
I didn't see your previous post-- I was trying to be a little less blatant I guess! I checked the zip before I mentioned that he "sounded familiar".
A clone?
We have probably reached that level of genetic engineering with respect to personality types. If not, this is probably a good example of a prototype or clone. But we're digressing from the true spirit of this thread.

Good luck today and tomorrow, Rob and Nick!

Jeff
__________________
Today is a gift... that is why it's called "the present."

(1970-1979) Honda SL70 | Honda Elsinore CR125 | Honda CB360T
(1985-1987) Suzuki GS450L
(2004-2011) Honda V45 Magna | Kawasaki 250 Super Sherpa | Suzuki DL650 VStrom | Triumph Daytona 675 | Ducati 848 | Kawasaki KLX250S
(2014-Present) Suzuki DL650 VStrom | Yamaha FJ-09

Last edited by Sherpadude; 05-02-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Sherpadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #28
bpro
A.K.A. BUFF
 
bpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,138
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandracer View Post
Man, I hope that Middletown gave you the bike as much as you advertise for them. I know Wrobel got a better deal, but man... That's a lot of free advertising... You ought to calm it down so you can maybe get a little more next year.

You also should set sag every time you go out and not wait until after. The shock and forks get that oil warm and the sag numbers change. My $.02...

Good luck at Nelson.
Wow dude, you are such a fount of motorcycle knowledge, where have you been all my life? Oh wait, reality is over here....

So Mikey, what exactly are your qualifications? I checked on WERA, CCS , and mylaps.com and the only reference to a Mike Snyder I could find was a novice from California who has not raced since 2005.....

You do realize that most of the racers running the WERA nationals are the very same riders who make up the regional grids right? OK so the provisional novices can't play at a national, Point in your favor.

Racing is an expensive hobby. In my chosen discipline I DID run the nationals, for several years no less. I was even considered a "pro". I musta been pretty slow, because it didn't make the district 10 and 11 races any easier.....

Maybe you are a shit hot suspension guru, but sources inside Race tech and Traxxion think not....(Guess how I know their numbers) they drew a blank...

Now back to my original source of amusement....Sponsorship. As a former sponsor of, among other things, Rob Hancock and Localriders.com, not to mention a grateful ‘sponseree’ myself, I might have a little insight into this subject....

Do you have any idea what a racers main job is with a sponsor?

It's not what you think Mr Snyder.

It exposure.

None of us know what the details of the sponsorship deal Jeff and Rob have with Middletown Cycle, mostly because it none of our business. You see, the deal is with the interested parties, not us.
I do know however that it is a racers duty, once they accept support, to promote that sponsor as much as possible.

Still With Me?

Now I do know a thing or two about the race support offered by Localriders.com. It is essentially a program that allows members to promote their sponsors in exchange for regular race reports and race related topics. If requested, the LR monkey provided the 'sponsored' member with a forum in which to discuss topics related to the racing effort.
This is a very valuable tool for the racer to promote his sponsors.

Starting to become a bit clearer?

If you combine the two... It’s pretty natural for Rob (A.K.A. Middletown Cycle Racing #612) to mention his sponsors and supporters every now and then in the forum created specifically for that purpose. I haven’t looked, but I suspect Rob also mentions his other race supporters from time to time. Folks such as Vortex, Yuasa, Pit Bull, Bridgestone, and several others including the coveted BUFF enterprises.

But I digress….

See, when you approach a prospective sponsor, you are actually selling them a promotion package for their business. How you act, both on and off the track, as well as your ability to generate exposure are both factors in the level of support you receive. Robs goal is, and should be, to generate as much positive exposure for his sponsor as possible. The more positive exposure that he generates, the more support he can hope to receive.
One of the reasons that I sponsored Rob, and Holeshot Motorsports continued that support after I left, was entirely due to Rob constantly providing this positive exposure for the shop. That is what a potential sponsor wants to see. This is also something that Rob understands very well.

But hey what do I know?



Oh yeah, for the record. Setting sag on a motorcycle is a purely mechanical function. Done properly, damping has no effect on the results (Re: Race Tech certification school). Even if rushed the effect is so minimal as to be non existent.

Before heading out to Putnam last weekend, Rob and I did indeed check to ensure that the sag was within an acceptable range on the brand new Penske shock and Traxxion AK-20 forks and springs. We did not take it further as we knew (or at least thought that) we would be making several setup changes as the Rob “broke in” the bike. What we discovered at the track, was that Traxxion had gotten the settings really close right out of the box, and only minimal changes were needed.

A few nights later we decided to recheck the numbers, and at the same time find the preload necessary for different chassis setups. We proceeded to find and record the adjustments for setting the sag with the axle in the fully forward, rearward and mid locations, (changes in length = changes in leverage) as well as the settings with the shock lengthened 5 and 10mm beyond stock (change in ride height = changes in weight bias) so that rob was ready for any gearing changes or changes to the chassis needed to best adapt the bike to a given track.

Fun Stuff.
__________________
Bill Prodoehl
bpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #29
mtynan
Over the hill gang member
 
mtynan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,010
Re: Time for the real test…

Good luck Robster.....yer gonna need it.
__________________
XSR900
FZ1
VTR1000
VF1000R
CBX
XS 750
XS 650
CB 550
CB 350
CA 160
mtynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #30
dark6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 156
Re: Time for the real test…

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprodoehl View Post
Wow dude, you are such a fount of motorcycle knowledge, where have you been all my life? Oh wait, reality is over here....

So Mikey, what exactly are your qualifications? I checked on WERA, CCS , and mylaps.com and the only reference to a Mike Snyder I could find was a novice from California who has not raced since 2005.....

You do realize that most of the racers running the WERA nationals are the very same riders who make up the regional grids right? OK so the provisional novices can't play at a national, Point in your favor.

Racing is an expensive hobby. In my chosen discipline I DID run the nationals, for several years no less. I was even considered a "pro". I musta been pretty slow, because it didn't make the district 10 and 11 races any easier.....

Maybe you are a shit hot suspension guru, but sources inside Race tech and Traxxion think not....(Guess how I know their numbers) they drew a blank...

Now back to my original source of amusement....Sponsorship. As a former sponsor of, among other things, Rob Hancock and Localriders.com, not to mention a grateful ‘sponseree’ myself, I might have a little insight into this subject....

Do you have any idea what a racers main job is with a sponsor?

It's not what you think Mr Snyder.

It exposure.

None of us know what the details of the sponsorship deal Jeff and Rob have with Middletown Cycle, mostly because it none of our business. You see, the deal is with the interested parties, not us.
I do know however that it is a racers duty, once they accept support, to promote that sponsor as much as possible.

Still With Me?

Now I do know a thing or two about the race support offered by Localriders.com. It is essentially a program that allows members to promote their sponsors in exchange for regular race reports and race related topics. If requested, the LR monkey provided the 'sponsored' member with a forum in which to discuss topics related to the racing effort.
This is a very valuable tool for the racer to promote his sponsors.

Starting to become a bit clearer?

If you combine the two... It’s pretty natural for Rob (A.K.A. Middletown Cycle Racing #612) to mention his sponsors and supporters every now and then in the forum created specifically for that purpose. I haven’t looked, but I suspect Rob also mentions his other race supporters from time to time. Folks such as Vortex, Yuasa, Pit Bull, Bridgestone, and several others including the coveted BUFF enterprises.

But I digress….

See, when you approach a prospective sponsor, you are actually selling them a promotion package for their business. How you act, both on and off the track, as well as your ability to generate exposure are both factors in the level of support you receive. Robs goal is, and should be, to generate as much positive exposure for his sponsor as possible. The more positive exposure that he generates, the more support he can hope to receive.
One of the reasons that I sponsored Rob, and Holeshot Motorsports continued that support after I left, was entirely due to Rob constantly providing this positive exposure for the shop. That is what a potential sponsor wants to see. This is also something that Rob understands very well.

But hey what do I know?



Oh yeah, for the record. Setting sag on a motorcycle is a purely mechanical function. Done properly, damping has no effect on the results (Re: Race Tech certification school). Even if rushed the effect is so minimal as to be non existent.

Before heading out to Putnam last weekend, Rob and I did indeed check to ensure that the sag was within an acceptable range on the brand new Penske shock and Traxxion AK-20 forks and springs. We did not take it further as we knew (or at least thought that) we would be making several setup changes as the Rob “broke in” the bike. What we discovered at the track, was that Traxxion had gotten the settings really close right out of the box, and only minimal changes were needed.

A few nights later we decided to recheck the numbers, and at the same time find the preload necessary for different chassis setups. We proceeded to find and record the adjustments for setting the sag with the axle in the fully forward, rearward and mid locations, (changes in length = changes in leverage) as well as the settings with the shock lengthened 5 and 10mm beyond stock (change in ride height = changes in weight bias) so that rob was ready for any gearing changes or changes to the chassis needed to best adapt the bike to a given track.

Fun Stuff.
bill, he allready knew that
dark6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2001-2013 LocalRiders.com