LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Race Teams > Middletown Cycle Racing #612

Middletown Cycle Racing #612 #612 Rob Hancock

Old 07-06-2010   #1
RJH_5150
Dedicated Rider

Beaver Run June 19-20

I never realized how much a track-day the day before a race weekend helps until there wasnít one. I guess I need more setup time than the morning practices WERA gives before the races start.

We had over a month off from our last race. I felt like I got a little rusty with that long of a break. It did give me enough time to get the new (to me) truck camper ready to go and make sure my truck was all up to date with its maintenance. That camper made it nice having somewhere to go at night instead of sleeping in the trailer.

Lisa, Jeff and I arrived at the track about an hour before night fall. Bill followed us in his truck so he could bring his bike to take his racing school. We say hi to everyone and get our pits setup as best we can before it got to dark. I knew the next morning was going to be chaos and I wanted have as much stuff done as possible. I have to thank Quentin from Mize Mobile for working in the dark to get my tires switched around so Bill would have something to race on.

Saturday morning was the usual race morning, registration, tech and get your shit together. I had to hurry a little more than usual because middleweight experts were first practice. I wanted to try my Grattan gearing first to see how it worked with the track and because I didnít want to change my front sprocket out. It can be a pain to change sometimes. Well it didnít do to well and the bumps made the short wheel base way to unstable. So I get back in the pits and I reach for my trusty notes from last year and realized that I left them at home. I thought to myself, ďThis is going to be a long weekendĒ. So I took a guess at the gearing and it was a little better. By the time I somewhat got it figured out practice was over. I figured I would use the Solo 20 as another practice and made one more gearing change.

They threw the flag for the solo and let the chaos begin. I saw the first wreck when Eric (Spector) went in to turn ten a little to hot and almost took out a few people. They seamed to drop like flies after that. I think there were a total of seven DNFís. My rear tire completely fell off on about the half way point so I just took it easy and finished in tenth place. My gearing changed work better so I was happy to get something out of it.

Sunday morning I was hoping that new tires and some race gas would help me out a little more in the afternoon races. Unfortunately that wasnít the case and I still couldnít get the bike tuned any better. After a couple of disappointing finishes in the first two races I change a few things on the bike before I went out for my third race. The bike felt pretty good and I stayed on pace and hung on to forth for the first half of the race. Right before turn eleven on the last lap the guy in fourth made a mistake and I shot inside of him. I just about had a wheel on him and my bike went into a violent head shake and had to roll off. That little head shake cost me two positions because another guy got around me before I was able to get my bike settled down. I finished in sixth.

Luckily there was a bit of a break before my forth race because I was a little hot (in the head) after the last one. To be honest I really didnít want to ride my bike because it was being such a pain in the ass all weekend. I sucked it up and went out anyway. I believe it was the second lap (it might have been the first) I was coming through turn ten and bikes were going everywhere trying to avoid the bike and rider in the middle of the track. It was Jeff. I didnít think too much of it because he was standing there waving his arms (so he didnít get hit) before he ran off the track. They red flagged the race and when I came back by he was laying face down on the side of the track. I thought, ďOh shit!Ē I kept telling myself (and other people) that his is a tough Hillbilly and he will be fine. Then the helicopter came. There isnít any greater feeling of helplessness when you watch your buddy get life flighted.

A lot of us contemplated not racing our last races but I knew Jeff would have kicked my ass if I didnít. After explaining that to Lisa and promising I would take it easy I raced my last two races. I wouldnít lie to you, it was tough. I did manage to get a sixth place in one of them.

Jeff came home the next day and was really sore for a couple of days. Luckily nothing was broke and is planning on riding at Grattan in a few weeks. I canít wait to get there and push things back in the positive direction.

Big thanks to all of my sponsors! Middletown Cycle, Cinema Concepts, Worldwide Bearings, 35 Motorsports,
Spider Grips, NKY Signs, Cycle Options Sharkskinz and of course Localriders.com.

Race Team Sponsored by:
Neyra Racing
Middletown Cycle
Worldwide Bearings
RJH_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #2
shakenbake
Looking for my Burrow Owl

Re: Beaver Run June 19-20

Sounds like a poopy weekend all around. From what I am hearing Grattan wasn"t any better for most people
WERA#525
www.knoxarmorusa.com
www.sportbiketrackgear.com
shakenbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #3
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Rob, thanks for the updates.
I hear Gratten is downright bad after what they did last weekend with the sealer.
You have a narrow line to pick. Get out of it and it's the ATTACK OF THE TAR SNAKES!!
I got way outta shape starting in 5 and ended up really wide in 7. Front end just flat out went away on me. Luckily I kept it upright. I can't imagine what it's like with 3 times the HP!!

Hey, what did you end up gearing wise?? Compared to-- say, Gratten or Putnam?? The straight doesn't look very long at all! I'm gearing lower (1 tooth less on the front) than Gratten-- whaddya think?

I looked ahead on the weather-- looks like "extreme heat" for the whole area-- keep hydrated!! Ice towel around the neck!! Ice cube enema!! (well, maybe not that last thing, especially wearing leathers!!)
AHRMA #628 (retired)

Last edited by WOZERD; 07-06-2010 at 06:59 PM.
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #4
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Speaking of weather-- what's the electric situation at the Beav? The website makes it sound iffy. Normally, I'm set up to not need any electricity but-- looking at the heat we are expecting, I'm thinking of going full redneck and buying one of those little $100.00 window AC units and sticking it in the back window of my van.
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #5
mtynan
Over the hill gang member

Face it Robster....you are getting old my friend. Time to start thinking about making some babies. BTW....keep me in mind when you are cleaning out your garage and don't need some of those goodies....er.....junk laying around in there.
VF1000R
CBX
XS 750
XS 650
CB 550
CB 350
CA 160
mtynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #6
RJH_5150
Dedicated Rider

I have to admit Grattan was brutal. If have some time today I will try to write up what all happened. I am running a little behind. Mid-Ohio is next week.

My gearing is fairly close between Grattan and Beaver. At Beaver I run a 2.93 ratio using 15 front and a 44 rear so I can lengthen the wheel base. Short GSXR's don't agree with Beaver's bumps. At Grattan I ran a 2.875 ratio using a 16 front and a 46 rear to shorten things up. It helps out a lot though the esses. The more I thought about it I should have tried a 47 rear (which is the same ratio as my Beaver gearing) to get a little more punch out of 1 and the bowl. One down in the front may be a too short.

Race Team Sponsored by:
Neyra Racing
Middletown Cycle
Worldwide Bearings
Old 07-07-2010   #7
RJH_5150
Dedicated Rider

Green meanie is still for sale. Oh wait, I forgot that you got the whole Brady Bunch thing going on along with your latest mid life crisis purchase. How is that Probe er.. I mean Mustang treating you anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtynan View Post
Face it Robster....you are getting old my friend. Time to start thinking about making some babies. BTW....keep me in mind when you are cleaning out your garage and don't need some of those goodies....er.....junk laying around in there.

Race Team Sponsored by:
Neyra Racing
Middletown Cycle
Worldwide Bearings
Old 07-07-2010   #8
bpro
A.K.A. BUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH_5150 View Post
Green meanie is still for sale. Oh wait, I forgot that you got the whole Brady Bunch thing going on along with your latest mid life crisis purchase. How is that Probe er.. I mean Mustang treating you anyway?
Probe? I thought it was a Hyundai Tiburon.
Old 07-07-2010   #9
mtynan
Over the hill gang member

You guys are soooo jealous. The GT is running just fine thank you....but I expect no less from a Ford. Too bad they don't make motorcycles.
VF1000R
CBX
XS 750
XS 650
CB 550
CB 350
CA 160
mtynan is offline   Reply With Quote