LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Race Teams > Middletown Cycle Racing #612

Middletown Cycle Racing #612 #612 Rob Hancock

Old 08-20-2009   #1
RJH_5150
Dedicated Rider

VIR Cycle Jam

What a crazy weekend. I havenít been on the track with that many bikes since Jeff and I went to the GNF a couple of years ago. I am getting a little ahead of myself. Lets go back to Tuesday.

I left work a little early so Jeff and I could run up to Middletown Cycle and pick up my new suit. I got the Tenic Xcelerator suit and its pretty much badass. The crash at Grattan ruined my old one. We also had to go all the way out to Oxford to pick up his truck. The guy was supposed to fix the injector seats on the big old diesel. After I dropped Jeff off I had rush home and get all of my stuff together and get it over to his house. The plan was to be on the road by 10am the next day. I got home a whole lot later than expected. After I apologized to the wife and heated up my dinner Bill shows up with my exhaust. He repaired it and it looks amazing. He did one hell of a job fixing it. So we put the rest of the bike back together, throw it and my gear into the trailer and head to Jeffís house.

I get there and Jeff doesnít look very happy. He goes, ďcheck this outĒ, and starts his truck. We wait a second or 2 and black smoke starts barreling out of the exhaust. While Jeff and Bill contemplate what to do with the truck I loaded the trailer. It turns out that the truck is not drivable because not only was it burning excessive amounts of diesel it also reeked of coolant. So I got to make a phone call to the folks about 10pm to see if I could borrow their truck. They love that by the way. Luckily they didnít need it and I got the wonderful task of getting up at 5am the next morning to go get it. After the 2 hour round trip and getting the rest of my crap together we finally got on the road at 11am. Other than some lady in an SUV testing my dadís trucks and my trailerís brakes the 9-hour trip was uneventful.

We finally get there around 9pm and find a really good spot to pit. Which surprised us because of how many people was already there. Luckily the Krafts let us bunk in their room that night and we didnít have to unload our trailer in the dark. Thanks guys!

Thursday we get our pit setup, bikes techíd and ready for practice. Other than being frustratingly slow, practice went really well. It was pretty cool being on the track with some of the AMA guys. There were quite a few of them practicing for the AMA round the following weekend and they were FAAASSSTTTT.

Friday morning I run both of our bikes back through tech to get a heavy weight sticker so we can run practice in both middle and heavy weight classes. Jeff was off working with the TVR guys getting ready for the endurance race. I ran faster in my 2 practices than I did the previous day. That confused me a little because I didnít change anything. I did get an idea of gearing I needed for the races Saturday.

I spent the rest of the day wrenching on my bike and talking to a few people about suspension settings. I did take a break and watch Jeffís stint during the endurance race and check out some of the lines the fast guys were taking. VIRís layout is nice. You can ride around and see just about every corner. Jeff and the TVR boys ended up in 3rd in their class. Dalke got second and the team of Jason Disalvo and Kyle Wyman won the class. The team of Ben Bostrom, Josh Hayes and Sam Gage won the heavy weight stock class and Vesrah of course won their class and the overall. Good stuff.

Saturday Ė Race day. Well, at least for the regional racers. We decided not to race on Sunday because of the cost. The National Challenge races are a little bit more expensive and another set of tires was not in the budget. All the changes I did the day before helped out a lot and I was able to knock a few more seconds off. I noticed during the morning practices that there was a lot more people on the track than Thursday. I didnít think about it until we line up on the grid for our first race. I looked behind me and I kind of panicked. ďHolly shit, all the AMA guys are back thereĒ. They were mixed in amongst the rest of the 40+ bikes behind me. They threw the green flag and I got a good start and we all headed into turn 1. I got pushed to the outside and all I saw were people banging into each other and bikes sliding from going into 1 too fast. I thought the chaos was over but it seamed like there was someone down at every corner that first lap. I made it through the last turn and was heading for turn one thinking ďWow! Glad everyone has spread out now.Ē I get right in the middle of turn one and someone tried to cut underneath of me and went wide. The guy hits my elbow. Which is no big deal except for the fact my fingers got stuck in my brake lever. He kept pushing to the point he was picking me up off my bike and wrenching the shit out of my wrist. Just when I thought I (we) was going down my elbow popped free and I fell back on my bike. I hit the gas and took off after him. He made it to the esses and pulled off and I never saw him again. We completed 3 laps and they threw the red flag because of another rider down. I was a little relieved because that race was a little nerve racking. I believe there were a total of 7 bikes down Ė in three laps. I get back to the pits and I could hardly put my bike on itís stands because my wrist hurt so bad.

To be honest with you I really didnít want to go out for my second race. I was pretty much in survival mode at this point because I didnít want to put another bike back together. I suck it up and take my warm up lap. Itís amazing what adrenaline does for pain. Green flag is thrown in the B Superstock race and more chaos. I get another good start and another rider crashes right in front of me in turn one. I check up and hit brakes to avoid him and loose quite a few positions. Everyone seamed to calm down after that and we were able to run our 6 laps. I think I got something like 19th place and I was happy my bike came back to the pits.

My third race was probably my favorite of the day. Everyone seemed to grow a brain and start riding like experts are suppose to. Of coarse if you look at my laps you will see all the DNS. I guess the first two races thinned the herd out a little. I also had a great battle with Justin Holderman. On the last lap I tried to go under him in turn seven and ran wide. He tucked back around and I chased him up the hill. I got as close as I could through the last turn and drafted him a little down the straight. I pulled out of the draft and went for the pass before the checker. He got me by .006 of a second and we just about ran into each other in the kink. What a blast! I ran my best time of the weekend during that race (1:34.080) and finished 12th.

I donít remember too much about my 4th race. Maybe itís because there wasnít any wrecks and little to no stupid shit going on. I did manage to finish in 8th place and Jeff got 5th. Sure as hell a lot better than our first 2 races.

Well we survived our first Cycle Jam. There were a lot of highs and lows but we made it through and had a great time. I am really anxious to get to Grattan to try out some things I learned about my bike and race against people I know again. I have to send a big thanks to Broc at Middletown Cycle for getting my suit in time and getting Jeff and I sponsored by Bell Helmets. I was a little skeptical at first but their new helmets are really nice. I am going half to do a write up about it.

Race Team Sponsored by:
Neyra Racing
Middletown Cycle
Worldwide Bearings
RJH_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #2
Kanatuna
Keep right except to pass

Re: VIR Cycle Jam

Good read! Sounds like a blast.
Buell 1125R WERA #626
WWW.ASSFAULTJUNKIES.COM
www.motolist.com
www.trackstar1.com
Kanatuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #3
ped

not nearly enough pictures...
Old 08-21-2009   #4
Sherpadude
Supporting Member

Great report, Rob! Good luck at Grattan this weekend!

You guys do need a photographer, but I'm heading south instead of north this weekend.

Jeff

(1970-1979) Honda SL70 | Honda Elsinore CR125 | Honda CB360T
(1985-1987) Suzuki GS450L
(2004-2011) Honda V45 Magna | Kawasaki 250 Super Sherpa | Suzuki DL650 VStrom | Triumph Daytona 675 | Ducati 848 | Kawasaki KLX250S
(2014-Present) Suzuki DL650 VStrom | Yamaha FJ-09
Sherpadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #5
mtynan
Over the hill gang member

Thumbs up for the Bell sponsor Robster!!
VF1000R
CBX
XS 750
XS 650
CB 550
CB 350
CA 160
mtynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #6
A4est
A4est

Glad you made it back healthier than I did last March!
WERA #4
A4est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009   #7
RJH_5150
Dedicated Rider

I am waiting on Jeff Kovak to finish sorting through all the pictures he took that weekend. I am hoping to get my hands on them soon. VIR is a very photogenic place so he should have some really nice shots. I hired a friend of ours from Heavy Penny Photograph to take some pictures this past Friday at Grattan in between the rain showers. He got some great shots considering the amount of track time we got. I think he said I should have the CD by this Friday.

Race Team Sponsored by:
Neyra Racing
Middletown Cycle
Worldwide Bearings
Old 09-29-2009   #8
RJH_5150
Dedicated Rider

Here are some pictures from VIR. Photos from Jeff Kovac.

Race Team Sponsored by:
Neyra Racing
Middletown Cycle
Worldwide Bearings