LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Riding > Touring

Touring Day Rides, Short Trips, Long Trips, Iron Butt, etc.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

17th Annual 2017 BRP Trip after Labor Day

OK, I know this is a bit of a break from the usual routine where Dave Bannister puts the first notice of our fall ride on the forum, but I figgered I'd put this out there as a warning to anyone who rides with me this year that there will be just a TINY DETOUR from our usual route this year so I can bask in the well-deserved glory and recognition that has finally been bestowed upon me by the State of Kentucky. To wit...from my good friend, Randy Block:

A JOINT RESOLUTION naming a portion of Kentucky Route 550 in and near the community of Garrett in Floyd County in honor and memory of Bill Francis.

"WHEREAS, the General Assembly along with the community of Garrett do hereby salute the life and memory of Bill Francis; NOW, THEREFORE,
Be it resolved by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky:
Section 1. The Transportation Cabinet is hereby directed to name a portion of Kentucky Route 550 in Floyd County, one mile east towards Hueyville from its intersection at Kentucky Route 80 in Garrett and one mile west towards Lackey from its intersection at Kentucky Route 80 in Garrett, in honor and memory of Bill Francis. The Transportation Cabinet shall erect signs that read "Bill Francis Memorial Highway" on Kentucky Route 80 at the exits for Kentucky Route 550, and signs on Kentucky Route 550 under the Kentucky Route 80 bridge.
Section 2. The Transportation Cabinet shall, within 30 days of the effective date of this Resolution, erect signs at the locations specified in Section 1 of this Resolution that read "Bill Francis Memorial Highway."

Y'all can throw money at me during the stop for a photo-op. I'm guessing that a $10 minimum would be sufficient for your picture with me next to the sign.
An additional $10 will be required if you want a personalized message with my signature. No checks will be accepted.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
kyzrex

Re: 17th Annual 2017 BRP Trip after Labor Day

When did you die? Can't have a MEMORIAL for someone that's not dead. Can we?

Sorry to hear about your demise, but for a dead guy you ain't looking to bad.

kyzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Hukamosh

May I direct your attention to the Aronoff Center...he wasn't dead and they named it after him so I can only guess that Bill is a former "politician"?
Hukamosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzrex View Post
When did you die? Can't have a MEMORIAL for someone that's not dead. Can we?

Sorry to hear about your demise, but for a dead guy you ain't looking to bad.
You're right. I'm not quite dead yet...to plagiarize Monty Python. How cool would it be to show up for the official dedication of the memorial signs and shout "Surprise!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukamosh View Post
May I direct your attention to the Aronoff Center...he wasn't dead and they named it after him so I can only guess that Bill is a former "politician"?
Former politician? Hell, I'm still trying to figure out how to steal from the public coffers to support myself...
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Bubba be dead now for quite some time.
--Like I said--
That explains that disgusting smell.
Someone should really break the news to him.
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Felby

Anyone doing this trip this year?
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
sosothree

Question Re: 17th Annual 2017 BRP Trip after Labor Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felby View Post
Anyone doing this trip this year?
I'd like to try to make it this year (1st time for me).

Is there a date set yet?
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Man, Bannister is really falling down on the job this year. He typically posts the notice by late June-early July and folks start chiming in on plans. I've heard thru the grapevine that at least some the usual suspects from previous years won't be going. I has a sad....

I have a cabin rented at the BRMC and usually share it with Bryn, but he may have some family issues to deal with this year and might not make it. Also, in previous years I've worked up a 2-day route--Cinti to Abingdon, then Abingdon to Waynesville--for the early week riders to roll down, but without Dice to help me out this year, I was sort'a gonna just lay low, take it easy and follow someone else's lead. The Googlemap routes from past several years are linked in Fall Trip threads on LR forum if you want to use them. Each year, I tweaked them slightly and I might do a modified route again this year. Or I might roll with DB to Roanoke and visit the infamous Hillbilly Hot Dogs...never been there.
Old 6 Days Ago   #9
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
Man, Bannister is really falling down on the job this year. He typically posts the notice by late June-early July and folks start chiming in on plans. I've heard thru the grapevine that at least some the usual suspects from previous years won't be going. I has a sad....

I have a cabin rented at the BRMC and usually share it with Bryn, but he may have some family issues to deal with this year and might not make it. Also, in previous years I've worked up a 2-day route--Cinti to Abingdon, then Abingdon to Waynesville--for the early week riders to roll down, but without Dice to help me out this year, I was sort'a gonna just lay low, take it easy and follow someone else's lead. The Googlemap routes from past several years are linked in Fall Trip threads on LR forum if you want to use them. Each year, I tweaked them slightly and I might do a modified route again this year. Or I might roll with DB to Roanoke and visit the infamous Hillbilly Hot Dogs...never been there.

Ok Ok Ive really really really slacked this year but I have an excuse (its not a good one) but I've have been working so much burning the candle and both ends and all the of the sudden its August 2017...

Thanks Bubba for getting this thread going you da man!!

So the thread from last year is http://www.localriders.com/forums/sh...light=2016+brp

A great time up until Saturday but everything worked out and its time to ride again! I'm hoping to leave on Monday as the usual ( don't know if I have any participants yet or a bike with a good set of rubber mounted) but that's my plan! I did reserve a cabin and I know Todd told me earlier this year he's got one for the week as well. I will be coming back Saturday to Cincinnati Mike Glisson was trying to stay on track and Aaron says he good for a few days!!

So who else is in!!

http://localriders.com/forums/showth...396#post169396

2015 thread above from last year

A couple other epic years below
And the list of riders for the 2003 was quite impressive
http://www.localriders.com/forums/sh...&highlight=brp

Fast forward to ten years later 2013 trip
http://www.localriders.com/forums/sh...&highlight=brp

Well I believe the plan is same as the past... Leave with a group or come whenever is works best for you but in the end just get there!

A few of us will leave Monday/Tuesday bright and early and make a 2 day run across OH, WV, VA and stay in Roanoke or wherever the route takes us the 1st night, then Head down BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY to the BRP Motorcycle Only Camp.. The have cabins its been about $45 a night for 2 beds so we encourage you to call ahead and reserve can't beat those prices when you split a cabin! Tent camping is available and does cost less than splitting a cabin but not much!

Some may Like more amenities and Maggie Valley or other towns near Waynesville might fill your cup of tea so plan accordingly.

So all you have to do is decide how many days you are free from the daily grind and figure it out from there.

We do have a 1 day back roads route down from Cincinnati as well if we need to dodge some weather Instead of the 2 day route.

I'm planning to leave Monday/Tuesday Sept 4th-5th(Labor day or day after), who else will be joining me? and who cant leave then and will head for the BRP campground after that??

It's a great time, with great roads to ride and you will be tired every night from riding and sleep good trust me
Old 6 Days Ago   #10
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

YEAH BABY!!! It's ON. I've been on the fence for a couple of reasons. I'm having some real problems with spinal stenosis lately--numbness in my hands and feet--and some muscle weakness in my left leg. Too much "stupid" in my younger years, I guess. Plus, buddy Bryn is working thru some family issues and isn't totally on-board yet. And finally, the whole ritual of route planning and riding down without the Diceman just isn't gonna be the same.

Be that as it may, I have a cabin reserved at the BRMC and am really looking forward to the annual pilgrimage to the mountains with good riding friends. Hoping like hell that it'll all come together to make ONE BITCH OF A WEEKEND!!!

I was gonna lay low this year and just follow along with a group, but if there's enough interest and a workable number of like-minded and skilled riders, I wouldn't be averse to trying to put together a route that follows some of the old route from the last couple of years and maybe throw in a few new roads...you now, so I could visit my recently dedicated memorial highway in southern KY. Seems appropriate to roll thru before I actually die, no?
Old 6 Days Ago   #11
Project84

Every year now going on 4 or 5 I guess, I miss this due to other obligations.

Damnit!

You guys enjoy!
Old 5 Days Ago   #12
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
YEAH BABY!!! It's ON. I've been on the fence for a couple of reasons. I'm having some real problems with spinal stenosis lately--numbness in my hands and feet--and some muscle weakness in my left leg. Too much "stupid" in my younger years, I guess. Plus, buddy Bryn is working thru some family issues and isn't totally on-board yet. And finally, the whole ritual of route planning and riding down without the Diceman just isn't gonna be the same.

Be that as it may, I have a cabin reserved at the BRMC and am really looking forward to the annual pilgrimage to the mountains with good riding friends. Hoping like hell that it'll all come together to make ONE BITCH OF A WEEKEND!!!

I was gonna lay low this year and just follow along with a group, but if there's enough interest and a workable number of like-minded and skilled riders, I wouldn't be averse to trying to put together a route that follows some of the old route from the last couple of years and maybe throw in a few new roads...you now, so I could visit my recently dedicated memorial highway in southern KY. Seems appropriate to roll thru before I actually die, no?
So are you able to leave Monday? or when? I'm looking forward to this as always I'm sure will we hear Kirby and Geo and others I agree there hasn't been as much talk as prior years but everyone knows how this works and its all about just getting there!

Word on not having the diceman and missing a few other wing men! Hope that Too much "stupid" in my younger years isn't contagious because I'll be in trouble soon myself!
Old 5 Days Ago   #13
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Most likely leave Tuesday and make a 2-day run down, stopping in Abingdon. Might have to massage the route from last year to visit my memorial highway for a pic! Don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I did hear thru the grapevine that Joe Cool might not be going with us this year?
Old 4 Days Ago   #14
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Ok sounds good I'm considering dragging a trailer and Corey just told me tonight he'd be down possibly for that as well.. would be the first time I've ever trailered but that means I bring the bueller and maybe a duslsport who knows starting the plan
Old 4 Days Ago   #15
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bannister View Post
...I'm considering dragging a trailer...
HERESY!!!