LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Regional Forums > Midwest > Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan

Old 01-05-2017   #1
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Exclamation Save the Doug Dunaway MX/ATV Park

As many of you know, there is an awesome public track in Harrison Ohio. Well... there USED to be. The track(s) and the park, as we know them, are gone. The kid track has been completely leveled [yes, gone]. There was some plans for restructuring/replacing/relocating, but those plans are sketchy and in jeopardy as well. I don't want to get REAL specific, because I don't want to be spreading false information and I just don't have all of the facts at the moment, but the bottom line... this park may be going away completely and forever unless the public does something about it.

The Harrison City Council is getting feedback and recommendations from different sources, have already acted on some level, and there are those out there that will do whatever they can to wipe the Doug Dunaway Memorial Park off the map. Mike Mains [ModalGuy], follow LR member and mototag enthusiast, is leading the fight, with help from AMA representatives and other Harrison residents. They really need everyone's support.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HarrisonMXPark/

#Savethedoug

TRIUMPH
06 Tiger 955i [RIP]
00 Adventurer 900 [4Sale]
00 Daytona 955i [Parting]
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]

98 MZ Baghira
93 Yam TW200
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017   #2
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Re: Save the Doug Dunaway MX/ATV Park

TRIUMPH
06 Tiger 955i [RIP]
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]

98 MZ Baghira
93 Yam TW200
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
Old 01-05-2017   #3
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

From the ADV forum...
Tuesday Jan-03 2017 at 11:50PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModalGuy
The track began when a class of 3rd Harrison Elementary students wrote letters to mayor Joel McGuire. Every boy asked the mayor if they could have a place to ride their dirtbikes. Within a week the mayor was working with Joe Day of Western Powersports and Kevin Orschell of MotoXtremes to design a build a Motocross and ATV track on property south the the waste water treatment plant on Willow Road. With their gracious donation of time an effort the Doug Dunaway Motocross Track opened in the fall of 2009.

Several years later Joe Day helped make to expansions of the adult track the most recent extending the track northward.

In the fall of 2015, mayor McGuire lost his mayoral election to Bill Neyer. After Mayor Neyer's election both councilman Randy Shank and Mayor Neyer were contacted by myself. I offered my services to help maintain the track and asked that I be notified if anything would change with the status of the track. This transition in power saw the beginnings of the demise of the Parking lot, Junior track and access trails to the Adult track. In the summer of 2016, under the leadership of councilman Ray Acra, development of the River park west of Willow Road began. When Councilman Acra created a Facebook Page for the new River Park, I posted up and asked if this new park would affect the Doug Dunaway Motocross Park in any way. I was told that it would not. During this time I also created a Facebook page for the Doug Dunaway Memorial Motocross Park, soon after that @witttom sent pictured of the destruction of the Junior track and access trails from the Parking lot to the Adult Track.

TRIUMPH
06 Tiger 955i [RIP]
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]

98 MZ Baghira
93 Yam TW200
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
Old 01-06-2017   #4
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Additional info from the group....
Preliminary and still under construction (it will likely be tweaked later), but too important not to share now.

Quote:
What is “The Doug”?
“The Doug” is a motocross and ATV park located in Harrison Ohio. It opened in 2009 and is named after Doug Dunaway, a Motocross rider who died tragically in an automobile accident in 1987. The track features 3 table top jumps, several rollers, banked turns and a double double. All this runs through a beautiful wooded terrain that allows riders to bypass any jump.

What is happening to “The Doug”?
After the new River Walk Park development was started changes were made to the motocross park that removed the junior track and moved the parking lot further south on Willow Lane. A small group formed to make sure there was a voice from both parties to come up with reasonable solutions for both motocross and river walk portions to co-exist. Both parks were closed on September 26, 2016 to allow for the completion of stage one improvements to both parks, including repairs and renovations to the track.

Since the closure of the Doug, none of the promised renovations have occurred, The city is currently evaluating the compatibility of the motocross park and the new river park. The city has hired the EDGE Group landscape consultants to help with the design of the river park and evaluate the compatibility of the two parks. This result of this evaluation may mean the closure of the motocross park.

We have proposed three short-term goals with regards to the motocross park:
  1. The motocross park remain open for a minimum of two years to assess it’s impact and future planning.
  2. The impact of the motocross park on the river park be measured in an objective manner.
  3. That the economic impact be measured objectively by an expert in the field, such as Marshall University..

Why does it need to be saved?
The MX Park is a great addition to the community. It's the only free and open to the public MX and ATV park within hundreds of miles. The park has been around since 2009 and despite no city support has kept an active following among riders. The park has a positive economic impact to Harrison businesses as riders travel from hundreds of miles to ride.

What are the future plans?
This group with the help of Riding Forward had developed a plan to rebuild the junior track, expand the parking and rehab the adult track. This group would also perform regular maintenance to the track. This would all be achieved through volunteer labor and grants at no cost to the city.

What is the “The Doug’s” history?
The track began when a class of 3rd Harrison Elementary students wrote letters to former mayor Joel McGuire in 2009. Every boy in that class asked the mayor if they could have a place to ride their dirt bikes. Within a week the mayor was working with Joe Day of Western Powersports and Kevin Orschell of MotoXtremes to design a build a Motocross and ATV track on property south and west of the the wastewater treatment plant on Willow Road. With their gracious donation of time and effort the Doug Dunaway Motocross Track opened in the fall of 2009.

Over the years, Joe Day has helped make several improvements and expansions to the park, the most recent a rolling section extending the adult track northward along Willow lane.

TRIUMPH
06 Tiger 955i [RIP]
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]

98 MZ Baghira
93 Yam TW200
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
Old 01-06-2017   #5
AnswerMeister
I ride - therefore I am

I have been there once, and while it was not a lot of fun on a utility quad it was nice to know it was there. When my son and I were riding single tracks years before it would have been great to have a place so close.
AnswerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #6
Stop4No1
Habitual Offender

I've been following this on FB and I never knew it was there before this. If it is still open come spring i'm going there with a whole crew!

How big is the park?
Stop4No1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Thanks to hard work and persistence of Mike Mains and many other local volunteers from the motorcycle community, "The Doug" has been resurrected.

The Grand RE-opening is Sunday July 30th.
https://www.facebook.com/events/141970933050203

Doug Dunaway Memorial Motocross Park
200 Willow Ln, Harrison, Ohio 45030

TRIUMPH
06 Tiger 955i [RIP]
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]

98 MZ Baghira
93 Yam TW200
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750