LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Riding > Touring

Touring Day Rides, Short Trips, Long Trips, Iron Butt, etc.

Old 09-16-2012   #16
Hyflyer

Re: WestFest and RMAR Colorado Trip--Aug 2012

Nice report Bubba! I'll have to get out west one day to ride.
Old 09-16-2012   #17
DICE32
DICE'N & SLICE'N

Awesome report & some world class photos there, Bubba!
Looks like you & Bryn had one memorable trip out west!

ROB "DICE" GILES
Dandridge, Tn.
DICE32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #18
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Dice: You'll definitely have to get out there before you get too old...
Roads are just like you like yer women--smooth and curvy!

BTW, sending you a big thanks for the Scotty Bratcher cuts. Got a chance to listen to the CD and really like the set. That boy certainly can play the guitar!
Old 09-18-2012   #19
Fast Eddie
Let's Ride

Great write up and photos. Rode that same area about 5 years ago, Cottonwood Pass, Lake City, Engineer Pass and too many others to remember. If you have never been out that way and like dual sport riding then you need to go. Gunnison area or Moab, either on.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #20
Felby

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post

As I remember, you mentioned you're an avid hunter. Thought I'd show ya how we grow 'em over here on the west side. Big boy in my back yard:

Looks kinda like an Elk to me. You take that photo near the BRP Campground?
Old 09-18-2012   #21
MrHaun
Reformed Pig Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felby View Post
So many lolz!

K8 DL650 | 2000 HD 883 XLH - Sold
MrHaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #22
Hyflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felby View Post

OH Sa-NAAAAAAAAAAP
Old 08-06-2017   #23
Felby

Hey Bubba, if you only had 7 days to do this same trip, what "must see" places would you go?
Old 08-07-2017   #24
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Felby, that's a wide open question. Depends on what you plan on doing. Riding solo or two-up? Wanna ride mostly slab? Tackle the two-track 4x4 trails in the high passes?

Couple of things stick out in my mind. The central region of CO along the I-70 corridor is the most crowded but also has the most resources for touristy activities. Must-do road rides are Pikes Peak and/or Mt Evans, the San Juan Loop around Durango-Telluride-Silverton-Ouray (CO145 and CO550/Million Dollar Hwy). If you're up for a mix of pavement and smooth-grade gravel, take the Colorado River Rd/301 north from Dotsero (I-70 exit 133) then south on CO131 to Trough Rd over to Kremmling and work your way back south on CO9 or CO3. The area of Curecanti NRA and Black Canyon of the Gunnison along the US50 corridor is very nice too, with lots of hiking and camping opportunities.

If you plan on challenging yourself to ride the high passes, the best place to use as a home base would be Silverton. Bryn and I stayed in a cabin at the Red Mountain Motel and RV park. From there, you can do day rides and hit Cinnamon, Engineer, Red Mtn, Corkscrew, Hurricane, Black Bear, Imogene passes. All are rocky two-track (no mud to deal with) and doable with a mid-size ADV bike (not really any clearance issues) but a big bike one- or two-up is gonna be a LOT OF WORK with serious penalty for failure...unless you've got A-game skillz!!! Whenever you take off for a day ride, even in August, remember you can experience weather from 90+degrees to torrential rain, hail/snow at the higher elevations, and life-threatening lightning storms....all within a couple of hours and 100 miles of riding. Be prepared.

Lemeno if I can be of any more help. Sounds like a great adventure. Remember--pics, or it didn't happen.
Old 08-07-2017   #25
Felby

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
Felby, that's a wide open question. Depends on what you plan on doing. Riding solo or two-up? Wanna ride mostly slab? Tackle the two-track 4x4 trails in the high passes?
Yeah, sorry that was a little open-ended... I'll be solo on a shiny new ADV bike but with little experience offroad, so sticking mostly to pavement and not opposed to some smooth-grade gravel. Tentative plan is to slab it from Cincy to Denver, then as much twisty / sight seeing as possible. Not much interest in touristy stuff, except maybe Pike's Peak. Definitely want to hit San Juan Loop and other roads in that area. Would like to do a mix of tent camping + hotel; so I think it might be smart to try and setup a centralized "base" to leave extra luggage.
Old 08-08-2017   #26
Project84

I did it last year, myself.

You're looking at roughly 1,100 miles before you get into ANYTHING worth riding. With that knowledge I did what any sane man would do on limited time and rode 1,000+ on day 1. By lunchtime of day 2 I was perched atop Pike's Peak, shit eatin' grin on my face, snowball in hand. It was worth the pain the day before to get there. (Luckily you'll pass through STL and Kansas City, KS so good eats are on your path!)

Don't bother with Denver. Go around and into the juicy stuff. I got off of I-70 at Limon, Co and onto route 24 to get to Pike's Peak on day 2. 24 is kinda boring and the speed limit changes a bunch but it works out well for viewing those mountains getting closer and closer.

On your limited time I wouldn't setup a "base" but instead ramble on and camp or motel it wherever you end up for the night.

BE WARNED: As Bill said, it might be 95*F at 2pm and 35*F at 2am. Camping was my biggest challenge. I was ill prepared for the temperature to drop that low and I paid the price of freezing my ass off on the nights I camped. I was so focused on having as compact gear as possible that I skimped out on an insulated sleeping pad (or tent) and basically camped at altitude in what amounts to basic Kentucky summer camping gear - a mesh A-frame tent and a $20 Walmart sleeping bag. I was miserable and my bones ached for hours each morning.

One tip I took from the crowd on ADV rider was to get a "gear keeper" which is a tether with a retracting cable in it. Snap that around a simple point-and-shoot camera that you can access while riding. You'll wanna stop a billion times for pictures but soon learn how much time it eats up. Easier to stop 2-3 times a day for the best pictures, and all else just grab the camera hanging off your jacket, point and shoot, let go of it and the gear keeper holds it tidy. I got 400 shots while on the move and only about 60-80 of them were slightly blurry, the rest were fantastic and I never had to stop. Sure if I knew anything about shutter speeds/camera settings they all would've turned out.

Last edited by Project84; 08-08-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote