LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Community Forums > General Discussions

Old 07-17-2017   #1
DICE32
DICE'N & SLICE'N

Last Roll of the Dice

Well boys & girls, just wanted to let everyone know, my two wheel riding days
have finally come to an end. Sold the Burgman, and I'm selling all my riding gear also,
so I'm fairly certain it will be my last bike. Still presently have the Z3 Roadster to play on the curves with,
but health concerns had put such a damper on riding much, that I couldn't justify
keeping it, especially with a yearly insurance renewel due soon. I rode less than 3k last year,
& only 1k this year, which is a far cry from my 12k-16k years from the past. Heck, I logged
110k in the 9 year stretch I owned my Vulcan 1500 & then my Pacific Coast 800. That's a 12k avg.
It wasn't the Burgman's fault, cause it fit what I needed at present, & I grinned every time I rode it, but
the spark that motivated me to go out & carve some curves weekly, has started to smolder in the last couple of years.
Heck, I'm only 63 this year & a youngster compared to others riding in their 70's & even 80's.
Maybe buying our retirement home & getting lazy didn't help either. Plus add medical problems to complicate things.
I miss all my Localriders & AFJ riding buddies, and I just wasn't able to connect with any locals down
here in the Dandridge, Tn area that wanted to hookup for lunch rides. But I also failed to put a serious effort
in finding any new friends like I should have. I have been able to meet some fellow Z3 owners & have gone to a couple events so far.
I also miss the great Northern Ky back roads with the great 55mph limits that are nowhere to be found on Tn back roads.
And yes, everyone travels south on vacation to ride all the great roads in the Tn/NC/Ga areas,
but it's not a lot of fun riding them alone (not too safe either) without someone to enjoy them with.
Been there/done that on all the great roads dozens of times. The thrill is gone. Lifestyles change.
I also think about mortality more & more, & how everytime I venture out anywhere via bike or car, that the abundance of
driving idiots out there daily that should not have been given a drivers license has become the norm. Roads have become a battlefield.
Having the skill level to run 20+ mph over the limit on even the most technical road becomes dangerous, maybe
not because of yourself, but because of the incompetent rider or driver running -20 mph under the limit
that can't stay on their side of the double yellow. Even being as careful as you can doesn't guarantee you a safe trip back home.
If the idiot cagers don't take you out, the forest rodents might. Fear the deer!
Even though I'm bikeless, the offer still stands for bikers or drivers to come visit & stay the night in our guest room if you're ever in the area.
I'm still capable of hooning the roadster on some back road routes with you, even to the "dragon" if you like.
Or just come to relax, eat some great food, or see some attractions, cause we're only 30 miles from Gatlinburg.
The wife won't be retired & down here fulltime till fall of 2019. I'd love to have some old friends come visit. We have plenty of parking.
Well all, ride safe, watch out for the crazies, & most important, I wish good health to all. Getting old sucks! Feeling even older & broken is a life changer.
When you're out riding the routes from Rabbit Hash/Falmouth/Cynthiana/Mt Olivet/Willow/Williamstown/Owenton/& Stamping Ground,
remember the "Diceman", cause I sure had a great time riding them with all of you these past 14 yrs. I'll never forget my memories with my riding buddies.

ROB "DICE" GILES
Dandridge, Tn.
DICE32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017   #2
Project84

Re: Last Roll of the Dice

Dice - glad you checked in buddy! I only took a few rides with you but I remember thinking you could really slay on that FZ1!

Enjoy retirement! Next time I'm down near Gatlinburg I'll look you up!
Old 07-18-2017   #3
DICE32
DICE'N & SLICE'N

Thanks, John! If you're down this way, be sure to come visit. Sent you my cell # in the reply to the message you sent.

ROB "DICE" GILES
Dandridge, Tn.
Old 07-18-2017   #4
mglisson
OH-Cincinnati Member

Cheers, Dice! Wishing you nothing but the best, let us know if there's anything we can help with...hope to see ya when down that way and please let us know when you come back to cincy for a visit!!
mglisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017   #5
kyzrex

As I stated on your FB post.....DON'T be a stranger! We will ALL face this question someday and for some of us it is coming sooner rather than later. You are only 1 of people I know that have recently made this same decision. But while our friendships may have been started because of a shared interest in motorcycles, I hope that motorcycles are not what they are based upon or rely on. You will always have friends up here and within the Motorcycle community. Look forward to seeing you soon and good luck iwherever that little Bimmer takes you. Have fun my friend!

Patrick
kyzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017   #6
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

When one door closes-- another opens.
Take care of yourself!!
Have fun
And to hell with them people that can't take a joke!!
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017   #7
steiny

WOW , sorry you can't get out and ride anymore ,I miss trying to keep up with you on the NKY roads.

Good luck in the future and if you ever need anything let me know .

steiny
01 ZRX 1200
12 Concours 1400
2- crf100's race bikes
steiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017   #8
DICE32
DICE'N & SLICE'N

I appreciate that, Pat! Thanks guys! I'll still be hanging around, & more
than likely see some of you at times at the dragon store, or maybe Rabbit Hash,
when I'm back in Kentucky every once in a while. Might even come park across the
bridge at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground & walk in to visit during the
Localriders Fall Trip, since I'm only about 82 miles away. You never know.
Look what I've missed already....Bubba's got a road named after him?....wow! LoL!
I'll still be lurking on some of the sites for events & meetups, and hope that
some of you will accept my invitation to come visit sometime. Speedracer (Dennis)
is the only one to come down & stay so far. Hope to see ya' soon! Stay safe out there everyone!

ROB "DICE" GILES
Dandridge, Tn.