LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Motorcycle Support > Ask the Mechanics

Ask the Mechanics OK all you GearHeads, please help answer the questions...

Old 06-17-2005   #16
thom_boles

Re: Shinko Tires? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprodoehl
(looks like a michelin)
I think I just bought an Avon that looks similar to that one.
Old 06-26-2005   #17
Chuck S
Chuck S.

Shinko "Advance" Tires.

I purchased a set of these for my RF900 about 800 miles ago. I do most of my riding in Upstate SC (Hwy 178 & 276) and Western NC (Hwy 215 to the Parkway). I'll occasionally drag a peg, but have been very satsified with the grip and wear upto this point. Takes a little while to get them upto temp but once there they grip fine.

As a tire compared with Dunlop 208ZR the grip compareable but the compound isn't as soft. You should get better mileage out of the Shinko Advance.

I did run a front Shinko Stealth and rear Dunlop 208ZR not a good combo, when the twisties got tight the Dunlop would push the Stealth going through the turns.

The Stealth is a good strait line tire but not a good tire to attack the twisties with.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

Chuck S.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #18
Racing Rice

Here is a review from fjrowners.ws - roadracer316

Quote:

Before you say it, I know what you are thinking.......SHINKO TIRES? Hear me out!

I am a former roadracer and have 150K or so street miles under my belt, so trust me when I say I know a thing or two about motorcycle tires!

I installed a set of Shinko Raven (009) tires a little while ago. The reason I did is because I work in the industy and one of our distributors is the main Shinko tire distributor for the US, so I got them REALLY cheap and they wanted a review from someone that actually know what he is talking about! These are basically their "high mileage" tire.

I am about 1000 miles into the set and have to say I am REALLY surprised! The tires have a pretty round profile to them, so turn in is slower than I am used to, but that is simply personal preference. Grip is so much better than I thought, I almost can't believe it! Once broken in, I could get all of the leaning angle I could on the Z6's and maybe then some, grip is quite good! I came off a set of Metzeler Z6's (great tires), but for the money, these are winners in my book. I also had the pleasure of riding about 200 miles in the rain and wet traction is great as well with no hydroplaning. Straight line stability is everything you would expect from the big guys and absolutely no headshake like I experienced with the stock Bridgestones, tread pattern is pretty cool looking (some care about that?) and it seems at this point that the mileage should be good as well. Side walls are really sturdy, no squirming, but enough flex to offer good feedback from the front and back end. For those looking for a much cheaper alternative to the big names, I would have to recommend you give these a shot! Oh and by the way, the materials, molds and technology built into these tires are from Yokohama! front MSRP is $76.95 and rear MSRP is $116.95. No, I do not sell them, but I know a lot of local dealers have been picking them up and I believe you can get them online as well!
I also have a few friends that run Shinko tires. They like them a lot. They say they hold really well. Actually they say they hold too well, they can't do burnouts with them (which I think is funny.) I'll probably give them a try soon. I'm getting close to needing a new set of tires on the Z1000.
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #19
WORLOQ

If you get some and plan on doing some serious riding, I would choose the 003 stealth series. They are soft and stick well in the curves. The price is also mych better than any other. I know it is a late post but I figured I would say my peice.
WORLOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #20
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Yes, I'm kicking the dust off an old thread. I've been wanting to trying out the Shinko brand for some time now, and finally got around to it last month on my Triumph Trophy. I've been acting as somewhat of a guinea pig for the Trophy online community, as most of those guys are too scared to try a "Cheap" tire. So rather than trying to repeat everything I've said up until this point, I'll just copy some snippets over from those discussions. Some of those entries are in response to other replies/posts in the thread discussion, in case something doesn't look quite right (I've omitted everything but what I've said myself). I think it is enough to see the whole picture.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:22 am
I've gone though a LOT of rear tires on my Trophy, experimented with a lot of different sizes (anywhere from 160/60-17 to 180/50ZR17) and different brands/models. I've gotten 7k+ out of a couple sets, but I typically have to replace them closer to 5k or less due to my riding habits (I've toasted a couple around 3k). So, I've decided to look for a better deal. Last night I mounted a Shinko Raven 009. It was half the price of the typical namebrands. It doesn't have to perform as well as the namebrand tires or last as long, but if its "Close Enough", I figure I'm getting a good deal. I'm expecting to log about 1500 miles this weekend, so I figure we'll see pretty soon (crossing my fingers). Anyone else try these?

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:46 pm
Welp... I've made an unpleasant discovery today. It would appear that I have a slight headshake problem when I take my hands off the handlebars. It starts off very subtle, but progressively gets worse unless I grab the bars again. I'm not sure how long this could have potentially been like this (perhaps its been like this for a while and I've not noticed it), but I have to be suspicious of the recently mounted rear Shinko Raven. It's not that I think there is anything wrong with the tire, but that I may have come across a combination of tires that don't react well to each other. I've never been a big believer that front and rear tires MUST match (I've had many many mix-matched combos), but I do know that sometimes certain tires just don't work well with each other. I find it to be a rare occurance, but perhaps I've stumbled onto one of those bad combos. The Shinko Raven has a radically different tread pattern than the Metz Z6 Roadtec that is mounted on the front. I'm betting that's it.

Unfortunately, I'm departing tomorrow morning for Canaan Valley WV. I'm still going. I'm just gonna be extra careful.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:44 pm
Tire pressure- check.
Headstock bearing- check.
Alignment- check.
Rear brake- Hmmmm... my rear brake is dragging.

I've had it on and off a few times now trying to free it up. It moves, but just doesn't want to open up like it should and tends to drag the rear rotor. I've used WD40 on the piston cylinders (hope that's not a bad thing), trying to make it more free moving. I don't seem to be having a great deal of luck.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:23 pm
Was at 38.5 psi when I checked prior to my departure for WV on Friday morning (I didn't add any). I don't know what it is right now, but it's looking well worn and cupped. Was still looking like a new tire at 5500 miles. Now with ~7000, it looks like I'll be replacing it soon (with a Shinko I believe). I've never had a front tire go South on me so fast.

My rear brake problem seemed to clear up this weekend.

My headshake continued. Will only happen at speeds in the 30's and 40's. Above that and it smooths out.

I'm really thinking I have an incompatible mix-matched set of tires.

The rear Shinko performed exceptionally well (as good as any namebrand). I rode very aggressively this weekend (my definition of aggressive, is dragging belly pan and foot pegs).

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:05 am
I suppose I should be a bit more specific. My front tire had 38.5 psi in it. I've never had to add an additional air during the life of this tire. I check it periodically. I originally said that this tire had near 7k, but I was mistaken. It is closer to 6k. I typically get 10k plus out of my front tires.

I agree, cupping it not unusual for the Trophy (or any heavy Sport-Tourer) ridden aggressively.

My complaint isn't necessarily that it is cupping, but that it went South so fast and mysteriously after I mounted the rear Shinko (and developed the headshake at the same time). The tire looked like new at 5k, but now needs to be replaced at 6k.

I also want to point out, that the rear Shinko Raven was $70. New. That's about half price of others. It was my hope that it would be good enough or almost as good as the namebrand tires I've used in the past. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the tire and now believe that it is as good as if not better than most. No lie. I'll be buying a front Shinko Raven, probably today.

I do not want to start preaching that Shinko is better. At least not yet. ~1000 miles is not enough time to honestly make a fair evaluation of a tire. I'm real curious to see how this tire continues to perform, how many miles I get out of it, and if my headshake problem goes away with a matched front.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:37 pm
Correction: The rear Shinko Raven 009 was actually $75, plus $10 shipping. I just ordered the front. It is $55 plus $10 shipping.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:21 pm
Mounted my front Shinko Raven 009 yesterday. Took it for a spin today. The headshake is no more. Gone (which makes me quite happy). The tire feels nice too and turns noticably quicker, but it is too early to give a fair assessment just yet.

The tire was perfectly balanced. I lined the dot up with the stem. No weights needed. That doesn't seem to happen for me that often. I ran the tire up into the triple digits to be sure, and saw no noticable vibes.

I'll be putting 1000 miles or so on it next weekend, mostly superslab miles. Maybe I'll know a little more about it then.

12 KTM 990SMT
09 Kaw KLX250SM
04 BMW K1200RS
98 MZ Baghira
99 Tri Trophy 1200
97 Kaw EX250
93 Yaw TW200 [Daughter]
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
15 Kaw KLX140L
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #21
Chuck S
Chuck S.

Good Morning,

What is your latest update on the RAVEN's.

I'm runniing a Podium 180 on my 97 TLs has about 600 miles on it.
The front is Dunlop 208 ZR 120/70 brand new ( eventhough it is last years model) with about 300 miles on it.

I'm using the podium as my training wheel (until I can budget the money for a Dunlop qualifier) as I get used to the TLs before I start pushing harder in the Twisty's.

Upto this point I've been satisfied with the wear and seems to hold descently in the turns.

Thanks,
Old 10-28-2006   #22
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
What is your latest update on the RAVEN's.
Have not had the opportunity to put a great deal of miles on the front yet, but so far I love the performance. The wet traction is exceptional, although I did break traction with the rear briefly the other day on wet pavement. I think any other tire would have done the same under the same conditions though. Overall performance seems to be far better than what I was originally expecting, and I'd like to say that they are the best tires that I've ever used on this bike (even better than the namebrands), but I think it's just too early to say as MOST brand new tires are going to feel better than shagged out old ones.

Based on what I've seen with these Ravens so far, I think I'd be comfortable making the decision to switch to the Podiums and Stealths on my Speed Four when the time comes.

12 KTM 990SMT
09 Kaw KLX250SM
04 BMW K1200RS
98 MZ Baghira
99 Tri Trophy 1200
97 Kaw EX250
93 Yaw TW200 [Daughter]
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
15 Kaw KLX140L
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
Old 10-30-2006   #23
shakenbake
Looking for my Burrow Owl

Slik,

If this is your 1st time ever racing, I'd go with Michelin Power Race (not the PR series) or the Pirelli Corsa's. Both of these are Track/ Street tires (70/30) and are very good entery level tires. They last awhile and offer very good grip. I don't know what level of riding you are at, but as a beginner you should be fine on these tires. As your skill and speeds increase you will need to look at running full race rubber.

I know nothing about Shinko tires and the seemed to be priced super cheap. That is two reason's that I would never race on them. In the world of tires it seem as if you really do get what you pay for.

Believe me, I know race tires are not cheap. The way you have to look at it is, the cost is cheap insurance. I have tired to stretch my tire dollar racing, and have paid the price. You have to ask yourself, which is cheaper? This set of tires for $350 or new body work, a new gas tank, a new helmet, leather repair, new steering damper, etc.......

By paying that $350, you will easily save yourself 2 to 3K if wreck because you tired to save money and run cheap tires.

Just my 2 cents
WERA#525
www.knoxarmorusa.com
www.sportbiketrackgear.com
shakenbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #24
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikchik View Post
So enlighten me - a question from the newbie. What kind of riding are you doing? I'm looking to take a SV650 out on the track at Nelson's Ledges next spring and the cost of new tires every other time I go out is a Major deciding factor in how often I can go out. I'm getting quotes from the track at $350 a set for good Michelins or Dunlops and that's sooo pricey for someone looking for their speedy thrills without totally busting the budget. Are any of you running them on the track or is it all street? Any recommendations for the type to put on the track, and where are you getting them for so cheap? Thanks, Faith
The bike in question is my Triumph Trophy. A heavy 650lb Sport-Tourer. The bulk of my miles are "Sport-Touring" miles. Some highway, lots of twisties. I ride aggressively in the twisties. I've done some very light "offroading" with it, but it isn't something I plan to do often. I ride in rain and light snow. I've had it on the track once. My Shinko experience has been strickly on the street, a little highway, rural commutes, and a fair amount of twisties. These are the Shinko RAVEN tires. I've not had any experience with the other Shinko models.

Opinions are like asshºles. Everyone has one. If you're truly interested in how the Shinkos perform on the track, I'd seek advice from someone who has actually used them and has something to compare with other than a price tag.

Assuming that the Ravens don't dissappoint me further down the road (which is quite possible as some tires fade quick), I'll be mounting a sportier version of the Shinkos on my Triumph Speed Four next season. I expect to do a track day or two with that bike. But until then, I can't give an honest opinion (good or bad) about Shinko on the track.

12 KTM 990SMT
09 Kaw KLX250SM
04 BMW K1200RS
98 MZ Baghira
99 Tri Trophy 1200
97 Kaw EX250
93 Yaw TW200 [Daughter]
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
15 Kaw KLX140L
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
Old 10-30-2006   #25
Godzuki
ill save ya laddy

yes by taking it out on the track do you mean track days or racing. also what kinda track exspirience do you have, IE are you = to a amature class racer, expert, or a newbi just starting. how i buy my tires is i have sets for track, aggresive twisty street riding, and just street touring.

when i started racing many years ago i was buying the pro's cast off's for 50 bucks a set. but there came a point in my learning curve at the track where i was fast enough i needed a new set of tires every weekend, then a new set almost every race. i bought the tires i needed based on where i was at in the amount of speed i carried around the track. when i was much slower i could by cheaper tires, because i wasnt the level where i needed the grip of a new race tire. as i improved the level of tires i used had to improve aswell.

yea i was also wondering about the shinko's and contiental tires aswell because i picked up a 1 of each that are in great condition.
Old 11-03-2006   #26
Lizard 1
Participating Community Member

If you are a newbie, my suggestion is pretty simple - buy better tires. Shinkos may be well suited for touring bikes, cruisers and even sport tourers, but I would never suggest them for track use.

Of course, like Wittom stated, only way to tell if they work is to use them. Seemingly, they work well for him, but remember this - an experienced rider will notice things that nonexperienced riders will not.

A cheap tire at the track will sneak up on you quickly. If that happens, skill level plays an important role. I know Billy and the boys that run the Maxxis endurance team. Let's just say that their DOT race tires weren't up to spec... They are very experienced racers and can evaluate that type of thing - even in race conditions. A newbie track day rider or racer can get in trouble.

What that is saying is that maybe for a beginner and a track day rider, Shinko may work. However, if you are trying to learn, I suggest you take one element out - tires. A new set of sticky DOT/track day tires or full on Race spec DOTs will have you learning to ride and not ride AROUND the tires.

I had a buddy who fell for Avon's race program YEARS ago. He had a 1996 ZX6RR (The year was 1997) and I saw him push both wheels going into 2 at Putnam. We were first year experts and when we returned to the pits, I came up to him to tell him I couldn't believe what I saw and all he said was "Where's the guy with the Dunlops?"

You really do get what you pay for. Race tires - don't substitute. Even at the hands of an experienced racer, they can be dangerous. Maybe not at first, but if and when they go away, it can be a handful. For a daily street rider - the elements are not near the same and can be easily tested and evaluated w/o too much worry. Typically, cheaper tires are from molds of older tires and reflect that in their designs. Taking many Chinese tires out there - especially in MX, they look VERY similar to older Dunlops or the like. Reason being is that those molds are available after a certain amount of time. Sure, the rubber compounds and such are up to date possibly, but the molds are older and help keep costs down. The R&D alone for a new tire style is tremendous and if a tire company doesn't need to float that bill, they can save quite a bit and pass that on via cheaper tire prices...
Lizard 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006   #27
Lizard 1
Participating Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikchik View Post
Wow, love the depth of your information. Never knew anything about the molds. So since I have a knowledgable person at my mercy, what do you know about two other things:
1. tire warmers.
2. selling cruisers.
Thanks for putting up with all my questions. Nothing excites me more than hopping on a bike and riding everywhere for hours. But seeing as I just got my first bike ever this summer, I'm clueless to just about everything.
Can't help ya on selling a cruiser, but for warmers, there are a bunch of offerings out there. Chicken Hawks are my favorites, but I also have a pair of Tyre Sox that I think are pretty good. Chicken Hawks came after Tyre Sox and they incorporate everything into one piece and come in two flavors. Entry level are just plug and warm while they have a Pole Position that has settings you can adjust.

I'd recommend Chicken Hawks, but others have used them, as well and can give experiences. It's like someone said.. Opinions are like assholes... You'll get every answer under the sun.
Lizard 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #28
Chuck S
Chuck S.

Howdy Wittom,

How are the Ravens holding up?

Thanks,
Old 04-05-2007   #29
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
How are the Ravens holding up?
I've not had the opportunity to rack up a great deal of miles on them through the Winter, and I'm not even sure what my total mileage is on them currently (I need to look that up), but I'm still impressed with them. Kinda funny that you replied to this message, as I was looking thru some moto catalogs this evening, saw an ad for the Shinkos and it reminded me that I want to order a spare set of Ravens for the Trophy, and probably a set of the Shinko Stealths for my Speed Four.

I have a Deals Gap trip coming up here at the end of the month. 95% sure that I will be taking my Trophy. That'll toss another 1500+ miles on the Ravens. I'll report back after that trip.

12 KTM 990SMT
09 Kaw KLX250SM
04 BMW K1200RS
98 MZ Baghira
99 Tri Trophy 1200
97 Kaw EX250
93 Yaw TW200 [Daughter]
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
15 Kaw KLX140L
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
Old 04-11-2007   #30
Kanatuna
Keep right except to pass

I just saw this thread... I ran a set of Shinkos on a KZ400 cafe bike that I built and on a CB750. I loved them, especially for the price. I think I paid roughly $90 for the set on the KZ and $100 for the CB. I rolled them to the edge on a regular basis. They felt good on the street. Warmed up quickly. Dont know about the track though. I also ran a set of GBC street sharks. They were nearly as cheap and just as good. I believe Cheng Shin makes them... I had a set of Dunlops on the CB before putting the Shinkos on....they Shinkos felt a lot better. A budget sport bike tire for bikes that occasionally lean like sport bikes....I suppose.

NOTE: These were obviously on low powered bikes with a small footprint. Not sure how they would be on a heavy bike with more power.

I ran Maxxis tires when I raced Karts...I didnt know Ching Shin made them.
Buell 1125R WERA #626
WWW.ASSFAULTJUNKIES.COM
www.motolist.com
www.trackstar1.com

Last edited by Kanatuna; 04-11-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Kanatuna is offline   Reply With Quote