LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Community Forums > General Discussions

Old 02-26-2018   #1
CincyBucki

Moto Guzzi V7 III Stone

What are the opinions on a V7 III Stone? Maybe it's better to ask, what is impression of Moto Guzzi, performance, maintenance, reliability. Is riding a bike with a shaft drive noticeably different?
Old 02-27-2018   #2
LeeBee
Self Portrait

Re: Moto Guzzi V7 III Stone

I ride shaft drives mostly. I don't notice it as a problem.

The Honda V65 Magna has a shaft, I don't notice it rising or falling much on straight roads. Most of the time I use the throttle in curves instead of the brakes, staying in the proper gear helps. I do use the clutch a bit more on a shaft bike if I am in the wrong gear to smooth out speed changes.

I rode a Kawasaki Vulcan 750 for a couple of years, slid the rear tire out a touch due to a hasty down shift in a curve. I felt the bike squat more than usual when the lever went out. Other than that it was easy to ride, never a problem.

I would love to try a Moto Guzzi for a year or so. They look like great bikes.

I looked at this one a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.centralkymotorsports.com...260&in-stock=1

Lee B

PS - I currently ride a Triumph America. If I decide to keep it, I will replace the chain with a belt set up. I really prefer shaft drive.
LeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018   #3
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyBucki View Post
Is riding a bike with a shaft drive noticeably different?
I think shafties got a bad rap in the 70s-80s era when the Yamaha XS1100 came out. Suspensions weren't particularly sophisticated back then and the Japanese manufacturer wars created a situation where engine HP development outstripped the design capability of the suspensions. In the old shafties, under hard throttle the pinion gear would literally try to "climb" the ring gear and the rear suspension would rise up, and in the opposite case, if you chopped the throttle mid-corner, the rear would squat suddenly and you'd find yourself with zero lean clearance!

Modern shaft-drive suspensions all use a type of rear swingarm/hub linkage that virtually eliminates suspension movement with throttle inputs. As for the brand Guzzi, they're considered quirky like all Italian makes. A bit heavier and less HP than their other "quirky" rivals like Ducati, they're relatively reliable and with the transverse v-twin engine, relatively easy to work on if that's your thing. They depreciate in value pretty rapidly, so find a clean low mileage used model for the best value.
Old 02-28-2018   #4
Kowalski

I've owned both shaft and chain drive, old and new. Shaft drive is totally fine for everything except professional level roadracing, and some people (Boxer Cup...Battle of the Twins) would argue it's fine for that too. For street riding shaft drive is the cat's ass...no chain to clean, adjust, lube and replace. Of course there are a few late model BMWs which have been known to frag their final drives without provocation, but that's a rare occurrence.
Old 03-02-2018   #5
dave alsip

I bought my first Moto Guzzi-the Breva 1100 model-about 3 years ago. I love it. It has a real motorcycle feel about it. I have had several Goldwings and they are great but they sometimes feel like they have a car engine-no character. There was no Moto Guzzi dealer when I bought mine so I am happy to have Cadre Cycle become a dealer. I have been there several times for help or parts and they are always helpful. The owner-Enzo-is very nice. Try something different before you get too old. I am 64 and it's my 1st Italian motorcycle and it's great.
dave alsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018   #6
CincyBucki

Well I pulled the cord a few weeks ago....and she arrived yesterday. Only got about 50 miles in. I'm really happy with the power and ergos of the bike. Would've been smarter to have locked in the mirrors...but who uses them anyways...I'm kidding. I was a little curious how the shaft vs chain would ride/feel...well I don't feel the difference. Though having a bike with ABS and TC will take some adjusting.
I zig zagged my way from Pleasant Ridge, Madison Rd, Reading Rd, to downtown, Eden Park and Big Mac bridge into Newport....got some nice head turns at the Levee, then climbed up on Devou Park...headed back via interstate...honestly felt comfortable with the traffic could get away if needed, and no one rode my ass. Gotta say I'm very happy. Looking forward to the miles ahead.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Atf...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Amt...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04-16-2018   #7
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Congrats!! The V7's are cool bikes never rode one but everyone I've talked with really enjoys them.. Now if only this weather cooperates

Tags
moto guzzi, v7 iii stone