LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Riding > Street Riding

Street Riding Back Roads Riding, Casual/Social/Agressive

Old 05-14-2018   #1
AnswerMeister
I ride - therefore I am

Pleasure or nothing

There was a time when I would ride 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year and I could not wait to get back on my bike. That has waned in the last couple of years. In the last 6 months of riding I have seen some really stupid things going on out on the roads. I have been rear ended 2x once on the bike stopped at a light with a car in front of me and once in my car trying to merge on to I-71. Between killer pot holes, people throwing cigarette butts and other garbage out the windows, people texting, watching movies and driving with headphones on I was about to give it up. Last Friday I had some asshat in the curb lane want to drag race me so he could cut in front of me just shy of the parked car in HIS LANE. After he passed the parked car he swerved around me while Ĺ in my lane, got in front of me and brake checked me. He was then egging me to come up to him. I laid way back and let him get nearly a block in front of me before I started up to speed again. Then he stopped to wait for me. Thankfully there was a side street for me to duck down and I donít think he would have caught me in his late model Camero if he had turned around if I didnít want him to. Bottom line Iím done. I doubt Iíll commute to work on a bike any more. I donít need the aggravation.
AnswerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018   #2
Kowalski

Re: Pleasure or nothing

I hear you bro. Commuting seems to get more taxing every year. I long for the good old days of just having to deal with drunk drivers on Friday evenings. At least those guys were trying to keep it on the road.

I actually picked up a still burning cigarette butt once that landed by my boot at an intersection and offered to toss it back to the woman, figuring she had surely dropped it by accident...offer was not accepted.
Old 05-15-2018   #3
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnswerMeister View Post
There was a time when I would ride 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year and I could not wait to get back on my bike. That has waned in the last couple of years. In the last 6 months of riding I have seen some really stupid things going on out on the roads. I have been rear ended 2x once on the bike stopped at a light with a car in front of me and once in my car trying to merge on to I-71. Between killer pot holes, people throwing cigarette butts and other garbage out the windows, people texting, watching movies and driving with headphones on I was about to give it up. Last Friday I had some asshat in the curb lane want to drag race me so he could cut in front of me just shy of the parked car in HIS LANE. After he passed the parked car he swerved around me while Ĺ in my lane, got in front of me and brake checked me. He was then egging me to come up to him. I laid way back and let him get nearly a block in front of me before I started up to speed again. Then he stopped to wait for me. Thankfully there was a side street for me to duck down and I donít think he would have caught me in his late model Camero if he had turned around if I didnít want him to. Bottom line Iím done. I doubt Iíll commute to work on a bike any more. I donít need the aggravation.
I feel your pain.

12 KTM 990SMT
09 Kaw KLX250SM
04 BMW K1200RS
98 MZ Baghira
99 Tri Trophy 1200
97 Kaw EX250
93 Yaw TW200 [Daughter]
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
15 Kaw KLX140L
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018   #4
Project84

I all but quit commuting 2 years ago. If I do it now it's only because I'm leaving work on the bike and going on a long ride (all evening type) to destinations unknown.

The commuters have lost all respect for other's well being. It's much worse in the afternoons IMHO which is why I never compete to get home between the hours of 3-7pm. I just leave work at the CVG Airport, run 20 or 30 miles of interstate and then get on the backroads and stay there all evening.
Old 05-21-2018   #5
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

I just got back from a "walk-about" in the wild west. 3500 miles thru TX, NM, AZ, UT and CO. I think that urban riding is where the problem lies--folks too busy with everything BUT driving. Sooner or later, there has to be an aggressive campaign to prohibit distracted driving the same way MADD campaigned against DWI decades ago. More and more studies have come out recently that point to DD being even more dangerous than DWI.
Old 05-22-2018   #6
CincyBucki

DD is a major concern, and the Look for Motorcycles campaign, should attach the DD aspect as well. I've said it a lot the past few years. I honestly believe, everyone needs to re-take driver's ed, complete with road test-2 parts day/night and dry/wet, eye exam--by REAL eye doctors. Hell make everyone learn how to drive a manual shift, that would wake up a lot of these piss poor drivers too. Re-test every 5 years or so. It'd be a PITA for everyone. But it would certainly remove many bad drivers. Lastly, and admittedly rather dour, for all the good of seat belts/air bags, they've allowed drivers and passengers a sense of too much safety.
Old 05-31-2018   #7
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

My commute is short thankfully but on the hiway if Im out early like 6am its never a problem but whenever the roads are packed the amount of drivers not paying attention to what ahead,behind and on the side of doesn't happen.. Its like they don't care about anyone but themselves for sure!